HELLO,A FEW MONTHS AGO I HAD A PERIOD THAT LASTED 16 DAYS.I WENT TO MY DR.SHE DID A UTERINE BIOPSY TO RULE OUT CANCER,WHICH IT DID.SHE SAID THAT MY BODY WAS LACKING PROGESTERONE DUE TO NOT OVULATING.SHE GAVE ME PROGESTERONE PILLS AND WARNED THAT THE NEXT PERIOD WOULD BE HEAVY.AHHH,MORE LIKE HEMORAGE! IT WAS SO HEAVY THAT I WENT THROUGH TWO SUPER TAMPONS AND A PAD EVERY 20 MINUTES FOR THREE DAYS.SHE TOLD ME THAT IF I HAVE PROLONGED BLEEDING AGAIN I SHOULD TAKE THE PILLS AGAIN.I DON'T WANT TO!! NOW THIS MONTH I HAVE BLED LIGHTLY FOR 26 DAYS AND NOW DUE FOR ANOTHER PERIOD ON THE CALANDER.MY QUESTION,IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITH LETTING NATURE JUST TAKE IT'S COURSE?WILL THE BLEEDING EVER STOP? HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?? ANY HELP HERE WITH A SECOND OPINION WOULD BE GREATYLY APPERCIATED! THANKS :)

Hi, I too am experiencing bleeding every 2 weeks that is heavy. I have been diagnosed with fibroids and am about to undergp a hysterectomy to take my uterus out and leave the ovaries. I can hardly wait as I regular go through 1 super plux playtex tampom every hour for 3 days when I get my period which this month was every 2 weeks, normally it is every 25 days and doesn't make me panic. But I'm now concerned with my hemoglobin count and am taking lots of vitamin supplements and eating lots of meat and whole grains to bring it up.

Is there anyone else that has gone through this?

Cheers, Kelly

Hello Jefsan!

Not only did it happen to anyone else, but it happened to majority of women who are approaching menopause. Such symptoms of prolonged bleeding (lasting for a month or so) usually appear 2-4 years before menopause occurs (read total cessation of periods).

Like in Kelly’s case, it happens often that a cause of heavy bleeding are benign uterine growths that may be the causing such devastating symptoms. There are different ways of removing the fibroids, the procedure is individual, depending on the place and size of the growths (fibroids in this case), but apart from hysterectomy, all the other procedure don’t make guarantees that the fibroids won’t return.

However, hysterectomy itself is not a very fortunate procedure especially if the cervix is removed, so I would suggest Kelly to look into all the possible negative effects of hysterectomy to see if the risks outweigh the benefits. The good thing is that you are keeping your ovaries, and see if it’s possible to keep your cervix as well and remove only your uterus.

As for you Jefsan, I see that your gyn made tests to determine if cancer (and possibly these growths) is present and decided that you are safe for hormonal therapy to get rid of the symptoms. If this therapy doesn’t suit you, you should talk to your gyn and see if there were other ways of controlling the bleeding, if there are natural ways and if it would be ok to leave it as it is if the prolonged bleeding doesn’t bother you.

Maybe you should also have your thyroid hormone levels checked because a low thyroid hormone level is associated with irregular and heavy periods.

I am also suffering lengthy bleeding which I have taken as an indication of menopause. My last period lasted for two weeks and presently I have been bleeding for twenty five days!! This is accompanied by a dull headache and a little light headed feeling in between. I will pick up some iron tablets and will visit a doctor at some stage but I thought it was just a natural progression of menopause.

I've been dealing with large fibroids for 3 years...but this last period is wearing me down. I have a huge clot every other day with nothing much between that. I feel crampy and pressure pushing up toward my stomach. I feel weak, I know I'm anemic again...I am taking an iron supplement. Anyone else with similar symptoms?

I am currently going thru the same issue too. I had my period or what I thought was my period (very light bleeding) for about a month of which I bled kind of heavy for just 3 days and had stop 3 days ago. Now there's a very light spotting (pin drop size). I am very worried but I'm going to schedule a Dr.'s appt. tomorrow to see what is wrong. I had taken a HPT but it was negative. I just get kind of skeptical about going to the Dr. since most of the time they don't know what is wrong with me. I've been TTC for about 2 years now and after all the exams and tests they couldn't find what is wrong with my body besides saying that my progestrone level is low. Taking clomid just stopped my period and then I had to take provera to start my period. Just too much meds for one small woman like me. I know that it seems each time I have intercourse with my husband it seems to make me spot or start my period which is very weird. Anyone else have this kind of issue or know what to do?

I too suffer from prolong bleeding. I had a very light bleeding and spotting for about a month and then I bled heavy for 3 days towards end of April. The spotting finally stopped about 3 days ago but now it seems to be spotting again. I don't have any kind of pains or any discomfort while this happened. I took a HPT but came out negative. Will probably do another one within the next week or 2 to be sure.

I am going to see the Dr. but very skeptical about the results since they couldn't even tell me what is wrong with my infertility. I've been TTC for about 3 years now and they've ran some tests on me but they all came up with no issues. Dr. just gave me clomid but it just makes my period stop of which I have to take provera to start it. Too much meds I've taken but I've stopped taking the meds since September of last year. Any info on what could be wrong or anyone who's gone thru the same thing please shed some light. Thinking about doing IVF but very costly!

Has anyone else have this problem. I just have been diagnosed with PCOS and trying to conceive so my Dr gave me Clomid and said to start taking it on the 5th day of my cycle. Since I seem to be constantly bleeding when do I start taking clomid? Do I wait for cramps and heavier bleeding..? Ugh Im so confused and desperately want to have a baby.

hello
I am new to this and I would like to know if anyone had any advice . I am 23 and have polycycstic ovaries. I used to have 1-2 periods a year until I had my son, then I bleed for 9, yes I said 9 months straight with no break until the doc put me on birth control. I am now off of it and am trying to have another child and I think I have started the non stop bleeding again. All of my paps have come out clean and no cancer. Anyone have any advice or input?
thanks
kim

I too am having long periods. I had one December 8th that lasted 12 days. Got my next period on December 26th and that one lasted 12 days, and now January 8th and I am starting another period. Waiting for my Gyno to call me back now.

I have been bleeding with lots of pain for 8 months. Now it is getting worse I am using super tampons 2 per hour. I did go to the gyno and i also had ultrasound. I am not sure how much more of this I can take. Anyone else have this problem in the past and can you please give me some insight.

I bleed three years straight until the age of sixteen where I was prescribed birth control. I have had relapses in bleeding for the past ten years. I am currently on b control without any stopping and have been bleeding for two months straight. I am almost to the point of an er visit but would like to know if there is any hormones over the counter that have helped combat heavy bleeding. I would also like to know if anyone knows what it is that causes this type of bleeding as the doctors always seem to tell me it is normal...........I am so tired of dealing with ignorant medical professionals and bleeding a third of my life away.

Perimenopause comes before actual menopause. This is a time of transition, rife with hormonal imbalance and fluctuations in a woman's reproductive cycle. It is but a natural part of a woman's life, indicating that she is of mature years and in nearing the end of her reproductive journey.

i'm 23 my cycle was always normal untill feb of this year. for 3 months i stopped getting my period, then my period started and would not stop. it starts off extremly heavy i have to wear a pad and a tampon and that only last for a hour and half, and then starts to fades, overall this can last for 15-20 days, 2-3 day with out any bleeding and then its starts again, my doctor ran test and was unable to find anything yet, she put me on the pill, it worked untill its was time for my period to start, know i'm bleeding extremly heavy again.

That's very unusual and I'm sorry to hear that it's happened. I think that the birth control will help with your sumptoms quite a bit. Which birth control are you on?