Mainly this is for our HR people, but it is open for anyone with an opinion.

Are derogatory comments considered sexual harassment?

I'm preparing the rules for my class this year and I'm trying to figure out where to include something about derogatory comments. Right now I'm leaning towards including it with Ethics, but it kinda fits with sexual harassment. But derogatory comments are not always sexual. They are also race, beliefs, and habits.

Should it be its own topic?

I have one rule for my class.

Treat others as you want to be treated.

I'm obviously no expert, but in our recent EEO/Sexual Harassment Workshop, the instructor talked about discrimination, harassment and sexual harassment. Perhaps you could have a harassment section that covers sexual harassment as a sub-topic of harassment. Our workshop indicated that there is verbal harassment with included derogatory comments, physical harassment, visual harassment and sexual harassment.

Hope this helps.

I agree. I'd probably cover it as general harrassment which is what I think it falls under on our company policies as well. Racial slurs, et al are still considered harrassment, but like you said, non sexual in nature.

That sounds like something a chick would say.

I find your comment to be of a stereotyping nature, and derogatory towards women. It makes me feel bad when you use terms like that and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't speak that way to me.
heh heh Can you tell I was paying attention???

yea....a fine chick with a rockin body that needs to wear something a little sexier to work.

That's a good policy if you're you, Joe-Joe. 'Cause you're really nice. What happens, though, when you're dealing with a total jerk who knows he's a jerk and treats others the way he truly feels they should be treated and/or the way he's used to being treated? Each person has their own code... so oftentimes written guidelines and sometimes downright :flames: RULES need to be put in effect to get through to the thickskulls. I have experience with this. Not fun.

If he's looks like an assclown, it's sexual harrasement......

If he's a greek god, it's flirtation......

So you are saying that you are insulted and therefore your first amendment rights have been infringed upon?

Sorry, everyone. This is a serious topic and I apologize for my immaturity. But only because OL has a nice ass.

I think that people take things too personally. Yes, there are some comments that are completely inappropriate, but I think many things get blown out of proportion in a BIG way. It just really depends on the working enviroment - mine, for instance, is full of trash talk. But we all know it to be trash talk, so no offense is taken. Unfortunately, some people take themselves WAY too seriously. Just my opinion.

Dude, "you're like school on Saturday: NO CLASS!" There, there's my derogatory comment. :P
Derogatory is a broad term, as you've suggested, which covers sexual, racial, religious, and every other -al harassment. For instance, "that outfit - are you blind?" is not sexual. "That outfit makes you look like a crack ho in need of drug funds", yes.
All kidding aside, from an HR perspective all negative comments are usually discussed within the specific realm of the problem. They are not a form of harassment in and of themselves, but are often catalysts for creating a specific situation. I'd either discuss them as symptoms of a given HR nightmare topic or under the general ethics umbrella, aka The Golden Rule within the business world.

Lucky for you, you look like Kurt Warner and not a geekazoid, or I'd sue your a$$.

As a teacher, the rule for my class is that everyone is treated with respect, and I'm the final judge on what is respectful. In 4 years, no major problems that haven't been able to be resolved by me.

Kids can be cruel to one another, but they usually prefer to do that where I can't hear.