This topic came up a while back and I've been thinking about it since then. So I've done a little research for estimating Max Heart Rate.

You guys gave some good examples for finding one's MHR: the hill repeat test, the 5k race test, 1.5 mile run test, etc.

But, I wanted a formula. Because sometimes it's not easy to have someone go do one of the above mentioned field tests.

And, the old reliable formula of 220 - age has been found to be way off base, especially for older adults. (And I'll thank you younger people to keep you comments to yourself.)

So, here are a couple formulae. Try them out and tell me how they compare for you.

208 - (0.7*age)

210 - (0.65*age)

210 - (0.5*age)

Fla.. Do you know how accurate the treadmill models that have the HRM handles built in are? If they are in the realm of realism, the times I've grabbed on after a hard rep, the 210-.65*age is closest for me.

210 - (0.5*age) was the closest for me, but I haven't done a Max HR test in almost 2 years. Don't want to get that close to :puke: again.

I did the 10 hill repeats of about 100 yards in duration then did a track workout. I maxed at 173. 8O I thought I was going to explode

The 210 - .65 was the closest one for me also.

Most formulas for any type of exercise physiology parameters are designed for a 70 kg male. Even though HR doesn't discriminate across the sexes, it does change with age.

So, those HR sensors in exercise machines might be fairly accurate. Unless, of course, they use the 220 - age as their formula.

208 - (0.7*age)

This calculated 183 for me which was the closest, to my achieved 176. Although that would probably kill me now.

That's what gets me about how much heart rates can vary. Joe and I are in roughly the same shape and we're close to the same age, but I can hit 173 and barely be breating heavy. :?

Yeah, heart rates are such an individualistic thing. That's why it's important to remember/explain/caution that all these formulas are just ball-park figures, and the best way to determine your HRmax is by a stress test.