Should someone stick to the 60 - 70% max HR for their LSD days even if it means walking? I feel really comfortable when I run at 75 - 85% for 6 miles (11:00 - 12:00 min/mi), but I know that lactic acid starts around 80-85% and I would rather be burning fat for a long run.

None of this will matter once I'm in shape, cause I know I'll be able to run even on my easy days. Getting started is really tough when I'm hearing that stupid HRM go off because my HR is too high, and I'm 15:00 min/mi, as slow as I possibly can.

Thanks

Shoot for 70-75% average. On short hills you may go 10 BPM over; but, should recovery as soon as possible.

Tribob's icon left me with another idea that I haven't acted on yet. I'd like to break out the bicycle 1-2 times a week for 45-60 min rides. No matter how slow you go, there isn't a point on a bike where you actually have to stop running and start walking to lower your HR. :D

I stuck with 70% when I started HRM training. (on my easy days) For the first week, I had to walk a bit (highly irritating), then I just ran painfully slow for a few weeks. After about 3 weeks, things got much better.

I'm sure TriBob's suggestion works well too. He's the man.

Less than 75 % is good

What is your max, and how did you use that too. Look at that number and that may be something that may need to be adjusted.

My max is 193. I told the Nike software for my HRM that I was a 26 year old male, and it said my max was 192. One day I decided to sprint up a hill 4 times and I found out I could hit 193. About two weeks later I was trying to catch my little brother going up a hill, and I kept my HR at 193 for nearly 2 min. I'm pretty certain that 193 is accurate.

What I'm not sure of is my resting HR. I just haven't had a good chance to take my pulse when I wake up. Once I read that you should calc your % by subtracting your resting HR, then multiply by the %, then add it again. So, someone with 190 max, and 40 resting would get 50% by taking half of 150, then adding 40. 75+40=115 That's a lot different than just 50% of 190 (95). I'm guessing the software I use doesn't do that, but maybe I'll check if I ever get my resting HR. That would give me a few more beats per min.