Every time I told the clinic I wanted to go down they would get inside my head and convince me I couldn't. This time I gave em no warning. Just quit at 90mgs liquid. Days 1-4 weren't  too bad, but days 5-8 were horrible. Horrible enough suicide was actually contemplated, but I was not without a man who loves me who was my rock through it and b/c of him and his emotional support I did not attempt it. Only made better by sleep aids(ellavil) and a low dose of antidepressants(cymbalta & lamictal), I slept through those days only waking very little. I did lose 20lbs because I barely ate, but I will get that back quickly and after day 8 the only symptom I notice is lack of energy. It was worth the pain because now I'm free and I haven't felt this good in years. Most of this was mental and if you can keep yourself around positive people who are only going to reinforce your decision you are set and can and will succeed if that is your desire. If you have any doubts and think you can always go back to the clinic, don't even try it because you will go through it and be right back. Trust me, I've done that too. I'm a 31 year old woman and I fought the clinic and I won and so can you. You have to want it more than anything else at that time and you can do as I have done with success and pride. I actually called the clinic where I went daily and told em  what I did and that I wanted em to know that I wasnt' back out on the streets using but was clean and free and they said for me to stop in b/c they would love to hear from me.  And I will do just that. Good luck to all of you who do the same as I. Whether it be 90 or 9mgs it's the same and the only way I've found to get off is to just quit. Slow detox hasn't worked for me or anyone I've known. If I can do it, so can you. If noone else believes you can, I do.

I WISH it was that easy for me. I quit the clinic about 12 days ago. I quit at 15mg and didnt think it was going to be THAT bed. WELL...I thought wrong! I have all these FEELINGS I havent had in 2 years since going to the clinic. Im craving...CANT sleep (with sleep aids)...sweats..STILL can barly eat. Ive lost 14pounds in 12 days..and have NO energy for ANYTHING! I cant even get dressed. I also have a WONDERFUL hubby who has helped alot. BUt he works during the day and I am home alone with our 4yr old. Its hard. Im GLAD im done with the clinic. I hated the way it controlled my life and My income. Im GLAD thats over. What I am not glad about..is feeling crappy. I just want to feel better! I havent laughed...or felt like my self..and it makes me wonder..will I EVER feel normal. I havent used since stopping. And with that I AM PROUD. But the cravings are out of control! My anixity has finally calmed a litle..intill bed time.  I know within time everything will be ok. its just a longgg road. At least it feels that way.

I am GLAD you had such good luck with coming off Methadone at 90mg. And it makes me feel better KNoWING that there are other people out there trying to have a "normal" life.

I found your post funny. I went to the methadone clinic for 5 years at 100 mgs and decided 8 days ago I did not want to be on it anymore and quit cold turkey. I found your post funny because I have experienced everything you have. My emotions are a rollercoaster. I actually broke down and cried like a baby. I havent done that since my bro OD'd on drugs. Even though I havent been able to sleep I do not have motivation to get out of bed and I will just lay there feeling sad until like noon when I finally find the little bit of energy I need to get out of bed. I have no apetite and when I am succesful eating something it goes right through me. The positive to all this is I will feel like a new man when I am done with the detox. I need support of course, but I'd rather go through this then go back to the methadone clinic. I know the forum says it has been to months since you posted, but I would like to know how your recovery is going.

i have gone thru this many times & can identify with all the pain caused from withdrawls. there is nothing in the worl that will take away the pain nor should we want it to. for me the pain is what helps me stay clean. i never want to go back to that again in my life. one thing that helps a lot is being around other addicts that know what youre talking about. for those of you trying to kick right now try going to some NA meetings. fact is you probably wont want to hear anything they have to say at first but keep going back anyway it really does work.

Thank you for your post! I am currently at 140mgs and I am getting some things together to quit the methadone and the clinic very soon. I too, will be a success story! Everytime I speak about detoxing or leaving the clinic, the answer is always the same, "you'll be in the street before you know it", or "you'll be right back", they advertise as a drug rehabilitation clinic-when lets just call it what these clinics have made it, a dope dealer! God Bless you and Good Luck!

I know these posts are over a year old,but Iam going through it right now. I took 30 mg for 4ys. I quit cold turkey. Day 20 today with no methadone! It has not been easy. It didn't really hit me until day 6. Scence this is time released medicine. At least I can now sleep 2 to 4 hours a night. I can eat and keep it down. Still it is hard for people to understand what you go through. I keep telling my self keep going keep fighting. Iam not going to loose my self over this. Iam taking a lot of vitamins. I just miss my normal sleep.