I am a 41 yr old man who has been on methadone since 1999. I lived in NY and moved to Houston, Texas where in 1999 and was on 120mgs back in 1999. I am now on 11 millograms and trying to get myself to completely be off methadone(cannot afford the cost of the program). What is the best way to detox myself from 11 mgs to nothing. I work full-time and do not drink or smoke. It's been 10 years since i did any heroin.

I want to be methadone free, how do i approach this ?

Hi, Im a 42yr from nz. been on the 'done' since 1999 also. Started a count down 2004, goal to reduce and cease in two years. .....now its 08 and im still trying to shake the last 5mgs. Its been really hard to make that final transition. i wont go in to all my symptoms but needless to say im finding it fucken hard.
In nz, our programme is run by our govt, waitlists are our bug bearer. although there has been recent changes within an introduction of a interim regime. and frm memory the intial script cost $3. the rest 'repeats'.
If anyone has an idea on how to shake the final drops frm the system, id love to hear it.

been on methadone since i was 19 years old. Iam now 34 and been off methadone for 2 month, I got down to 10 mil and then did my cold turkey.GOD its hard, still cant sleep properly, diarrhoea, at the moment having really bad tooth ache as well. It's hard mentally and physically

HeH , I Hear ya. I,m 50yrs. old and was on 150mg. daily for 3 years. I wanted to get off and I started last May.I was taking 2-25mg. tabs 3 times a day for 3 yrs. so I cut it to 2-25mgs. twice daily for about 2 months, then 2-25mg. once daily for about a month then I went to 1-25mg. once daily for a month, and I took my last 25mg. tab 7 days ago.But I made sure I had some Ativan for my nerves and advil for pain.Your right it is Dam Hard but I can actually feel it starting to loosen its grasp, I still not sleeping to well and shaky and the restless leg syndrome keeps me up all night but I can see the light and Dam it we will do it. HANG IN THERE YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!

Man, you are just torturing yourself. Make the break and get it over with. When you get to a point where you're dosing and still not feeling good its time. It will be yucky for a while--I'm 4 days into it now and I can already (however slightly)feel it starting to let go of me. The worst part is the mind game I think. I just want to lay around and do nothing but today I was actually up and went for a walk.

I have chronic pain (from several sources) and have been on a variety of meds over the years. . everything from hydrocodone to MS Contin & for the last 3-4yrs Methadone - which did wonders for my pain and helped me to have some symbol of a normal life. However, now I find myself down to 3, 10MG tablets & have to stop taking it as I can't afford the medicines outright w/out ins. anymore. IF anyone can give me an tips on how to ease the tearing, yawning, jerking legs & stomach issues - I will be most sincerely thankful...
Thanking you in advance for sharing any information whatsoever.

Christie %-)

I have been coming off the methadone now for over 4 months. I was scripted 35ml of linctus daily, but in reality, with my using on top I was taking anything from 35-100ml a day. (some days i'd have 0ml and just use the gear)

My reduction program started at a strict 40ml for 2 weeks to stabalise, taking 20ml twice a day, then i reduced approx 5ml every 3-5 days.

I am currently on 2ml and this last 2ml seems just as much as a wall as the 38ml getting here.

watching the sun rise still most mornings, and I have made the odd mistake of taking a double dose because of being fed up with no sleep and arm/leg pain- arm especialy. Taking this double dose is a BIG mistake, for it may bring some form of respite for 1 night. it sets you back a week or 2 in the pain stakes imo.

My doctor told me that when i hit 10ml to come down by a 0.2ml every 7 days. I did 1ml every 2-3 days, but as i said, this last 2 ml is a bastard, every time i seem to reduce even a slight bit- its a killer.

I'm sure i will get there. posotive's are i have put on a stone and a half in 4 months (i was 9 stone) and i quit smoking too. the money saved from heroin use is absolutely awesome. I dont go to bed depressed thinking "thats it! today was my last day" and get up into the same using routine. this in turn has made my family happy.

I figure that after 11yrs of heroin abuse and misery. whats up to 1 year to get "normal"?

Good luck, a slow reduction process can be done. just stick to your medicine times like glue no matter how much it hurts and if it hurts THAT bad, just reduce slightly less.

I heard that for every year you are on opiates, its a month to get better.

I started this post and it's january 30, 2009 and i'm at 8 mgs. I have to admit that i have not made an effort to go down the way i wanted but that's my fault. I tried to go down to 7mgs about 3 months ago and ended up using my 2nd week of methadone the first week while away with family for 1 week. My program was very angry and i think it was mental and me having the flu during this time. I hate it because i don't think i can afford this anymore. I pay $60 a week for my bottles and pick up every 2 weeks(friday). My wife keeps asking me when i am going to stop using methadone and i give her the same answer....soon.

I did notice that my insurance covers methadose at my local pharmacy and it's a big price drop but heard that doctors rarely prescribe that. Since it does cover at a pharmacy should i ask my insurance to see if they'll cover my program expenses. I can get a total from my program on how much i've spent in past year. I'm going to keep trying, i'm 44 and hope that i can free myself from methadone.

i don't know if this will help any or if you still want an answer but i have bcbs and they pay 50% of my methadone clinic bill since most ins companies pay for drug treatment and they do not have a methadone clinic in network, they have to pay your clinic as in network. I have to pay up front and send in my receipts but they do reinburse me for half of my treatment, which is what in network shows it will pay on my plan.

i have been on this stuff for twenty five years and this is my first month with no medicine. I detoxed all the way to 1 mg and then quit going. I am sick a little, mostly no sleep and restless legs, crawly feeling in the legs and cannot be still but i still get up in the mornings and go to work, which i could not have done if i was kicking heroin, i know, been there, done that.
my worse if at night now, although the first two to three weeks was rough durring the day and nite, i sneezed all the time, runny eyes and nose, and legs cramped, and chills, all over 1 mg, but i think my 25 years of methadone maint. is partly why it is taking so long. I am going to make it because i do not want to pay 240 a month anymore for this stuff, and i think i spent from 150 at first, to 200 later and the past few years 240 a month for 25 years, a lot of money. i had to wake up early and run get my med before i went to work but i was on a monthly dose take out since i had been so long on the clinic and clean urines. I think methadone saved my life so i am not dogging it, and the staff at my clinic was the best, so i have no bad words to say about methadone. No one told me to stay on it for 25 years, i felt i needed it that long. I was too scared to get off of it. My son is grown now and i am over 50 so i decided now is the time. If i don't lose my job of 1 years for being late now and then for not sleeping well at night, i think i will make it after all!!! you all just hang in there, it only gets better. Remember if God takes you to it, he will take you through it, just trust that....
:-)

i was on methadone for a little over 2 years and i had to take a last dose thursday at 9 in the morning. the dose was 30 mgs. they actually wouldnt dose me for the whole weekend. plus it cost 105 dollars a week and i just cant afford it. im pretty tired and my head is killing me but it really hasnt been that bad. now its sunday afternoon and i went out over the weekend. my girlfirend has really helped me alot. i know its gonna get worse but i need to do it. it was good for a while on methadone but its keeping me from getting a real job and moving on. havent had any real strong cravings for dope in over a year. i am a litle nervous but i know i can do it. hope everyone else does good too

To the guest who posted above I think it's good that you were able to finally kick it. I know that it's going to be difficult for you but you will be able to persevere and do better and feel better soon I hope. Please keep us posted on your recovery, and hopefully everyone else can share some of their experiences too. Thanks again!

This is a real interesting post. My friend was on heroin, crystal myth, penis and crack for about 3 years solid and since december 31st of this year she has been clean. She started the methadone program beginning of April 1st and is up to 40mg/day (should be more) She has since tried to get off of it twice cold turkey thinking everything would be fine. On both occasions "she would be fine". She came down hard both times. In order to support her habit, she was a pornstar as well as a prostitute. It is important to know that Methadone is just a bandaid and all it is doing is locking up the demons that are in front of you. Locks them away temporarily. You are not living the real life as there is a part of you that is tucked away.
She has been guided spiritually but is not ready yet. In my humble opinion is that the only way to get off methadone is that you have to deal with your past and kill the demons if you will. I am in process of writinbg a whole book of my experience with her over the last 2 years.

your right bro once you start the pain kick it you could feel sh*t for a week when you could have actually kicked it the longer you are in pain and feeling down the more your resolve starts to get worn down im on 15mls of methadone when I start to feel really sh*t say 6mls I will stop.good luck to you all

I dont know about how many months it takes we are all different except I know every word every statement that you made only toooo well. you will be off now I hate clean as it implies we are dirty which im not. A tip for others, I found this site looking for tips as ive been using on\off for 20 years the longest off four years. when you are down to the low numbers eg 8mls get an oral syringe from the chemist the kind a kid would use for their medicine. the barrel is 5mls so its bang on accurate what you need for low reductions. from 5mls it then goes to 4.5mls then 4mls and so on. when reducing you can go to 4 and 3\4s then when your okay go to 4.5mls comfortable then 4.25mls its only drops but a good accurate way to measure and reduce every time It worked for me.the slower and steady reduction no turbulance is the way to go.good luck all

IM SO GLAD THE UK HAS A NATIONAL HEALTH SYSTEM (NHS)Like all treatment drug treatment is free so is the meds.You can go private and your methadone is suger free. Thats the problem with private treatment they have no desire to get you off your methadone prescription. In the UK Subutex & Suboxone is expensive in comparison to methadone as its slough\plough companys patent which runs out soon then it will be generixc and cheap. well done Amen to you