I'm 52 years old and have been dealing with periods of rapid weight gain (anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks) for nearly 4 years. My worst are 16 pounds in 3.5 days and 12 pounds in 2 days. Stress probably is a factor, although cortisol tests have been coming back normal. I'm spending thousands of dollars and so much time with doctors and tests; finding a doctor with an open mind and didn't believe that I was "cheating on the side" took a lot of time and money. Finally have a doctor with an open mind, but these rounds of tests take so long and, in the meantime, I still go through these periods of rapid weight gain; he's looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack. My issues are not eating or exercising; eating 700-800 calories a day (chicken, fish, veggies, salads, eggs, toast, fruit and an occasional piece of a cookie-I don't do desserts, popcorn-low cal). I keep a daily journal of food and liquid intakes, amount of sleep, how the day is/stress, exercise, etc. Asthma has worsened considerably in last 1-2 years; on singulair, advesco, severent, flonase, patanase; when sick, I get prednisone and levaquin. Also, digestive issues in same timeframe (diarrhea and bacterial infections). No menopause yet, not close. Any one else experiencing anything like this? If so, what are/did you do about it? Any advice?

After doing a lot of research on the Internet and finding lots of postings with these same symptoms, I found that we all had one thing in common -- Singulair.  Saw my asthma specialist yesterday, discussed all of this with him and I'm now off Singulair with his blessings.  One of the rare few members of the medical industry who actually believes that not all weight gain is from overeating, especially where I averaged eating 500 calories last weekend (mainly because the pressure on my stomach from the bloating keeps me from eating and feeling hungry). I'm at the point at which the bloating is too much and is putting pressure on my stomach and diaphragm, so I'm definitely at wits end with this.  Hopefully this will work, although I know from my research that weight loss after stopping Singulair can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months.  I'll keep posting as there is news to post.