I am considering the Novasure procedure (thermal ablation) and I am looking for some feedback from those who have gone through the procedure. Is weight gain to be expected? Are you experiencing Vaginal Flatulence? Does the procedure effect sex at all? Is bleeding after sex normal after the procedure? I really appreciate your comments and experience. This is not an easy decision.

Hi:
I had thermal ablation of my uterine lining about 8 years ago. My current ob/gyn says that I am still fertile. I had the procedure to stop out of control bleeding that had begun. I have had absolutely no side effects. My periods are very lite. I think your considerations should be: Having a competent doctor to perform the procedure; correct info about infertility (which is common), possible side effects; other health issues that may affect your surgery and the results of your surgery. I don't believe it is considered to be a complicated surgery.....I hope things go well....Let us know what your experience is like.

I had this procedure in June 2008. Since that time, I have gained 40 pounds. No changes in eating habits or behaviors. I had 2 children prior to the surgery and got back to 115 pounds both times. Doctors have run tests for thyroid, cushings disease, etc, and all tests are normal. Nearly all weight gained is in my belly only. The doc said that is an unfortunate side effect for some women. I cannot seem to lose the weight no matter what I do. I wish I had never had the procedure done. At one point I gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks time, and that was eating next to nothing. My advice is give this a great deal of thought before doing it. I chase after 2 kids, work part time, and go to school finishing my degree part time. This is not couch potato laziness. :'(

I had an ablation in 2006 and my weight shot up 15 lbs in 3 months. I am now 35 lbs heavier than before the procedure. As always I diet and exercise, but it doesn't help me lose but 2 lbs. I also take levothroid for my goiter but I feel my weight gain is directly tied to this procedure.
I, too, am searching for answers so I can take it to my doctor and find a way to lose this weight.

I had the procedure two years ago and have gained 35 lbs even though I've not changed my eating habits or activity level. I am horrified and nothing I do seem to stop the weight gain. Thankfully, it has slowed down quite a bit.

I kept my weight of 115 until age 46 even after having two children.and felt pretty good about myself. Now, I'm miserable because I have to wear clothes that hide my weight and I can't get use to seeing the image reflecting back at me in the mirror.

I have just recently found out about this fact that other women have gained excessive weight following this procedure. In an way, it makes me feel better that I'm not just "letting myself go". I have been beating myself up for the past two years for "failing" at losing weight. Now I know I have an extra tough mountain to climb. If anyone has any answers or updates, please post!

I had the procedure in July of 2009 4 months ago. I also gained weight about 20 pounds. I eat VERY HEALTHY.Just oatmeal, salads and chicken,and stay away from processed foods all together, but I still gain weight.I am so disappointed as I had just lost 15 pounds in April after working out.Now I gained that back + more.I am almost 6' tall so I carry my weight well.I have been working out 30 to 45 minutes a day on my treadmill for the last 2 weeks and lost only 1 pound. I took 1 day off and gained 2 pounds back. I don't really know what to do anymore. :-(

I am a little bit discouraged, I recently turned 30, have 3 kids and had an endometrial ablation done 3 months ago. Within the past week, unknown to me, multiple people at my office have been questioning if I am pregnant. I knew I gained a few pounds recently, but I didn't think it was enough to raise THAT suspicion. I've never battled weight except to be under-weight, so at this point in time I am trying to think of WHY this is happening. Then I thought about the suregery! IF this is why I am gaining weight - why did no one tell me this could happen? I was advised of all the short term side effects, but never had the chance to choose if I would be okay with any long term changes. I can't find anything documented that lists weight gain as an after effect. Right now, i'm at a loss of what to do!

Have just been to OB re having this done. He presented this as a viable option 3 months ago and now tells me that I am too young to have it. He says that as I am only 31 it most likely will not last 20+ years and that I risk developing polyps and cervical cancer. If there are any concerns in the future about these risks my only option would be a total hystrectomy. I had done a lot of reading and none of these concerns he mentioned we talked about on the net. I have 2 periods a month that last for 7 days, currently on the pill to control this but want off to reduce the risk of breast cancer. I dont have any children and my husband and I dont want any.
Has anyone out there in their younger 30's been told any of this?

I had EA in feb 10, just 6 months ago, and I have gained 40lbs. I have increased nutrition, and increased my activity level, yet I am still gaining!

i had my tubes tied may 2008. i started having extremely heavy bleeding. My dr suggested ablation.it was done june 2008. i was always around 170 lbs nut i cant get under 200Lbs. if i do lose it just comes back plus i get cramps and unbearable headaches. if i could doit over i would of never had either procedure done

Well I had my tubes tied Jan. 2011. I always had heavy periods but after this I started having extremely heavy periods. Then in Oct. 2011 I had the novasure done. It has helped my periods. I haven't had 1 since having this done but I've noticed the weight gain. I'm already on the heavy side so I really don't need this. I've also noticed it in the stomach area more. So as far as the periods & the cramping it's helped alot. I'm not happy about the weight gain & seeing that I'm not the only 1 it must be a side effect from it. If I would have known this I would have probably thought twice about doing it. I may have thought twice about having my tubes tied since I seen someone mention that they had heavy bleeding after that. That may have been my problem in the 1st place. I have 3 grown kids & DON'T want anymore but I've only had problems ever since. I've also seen on here that women have mentioned a diminished sex drive. Not happy about that either because I'm starting to notice that too. And I've always been 'far' from having a diminished sex drive. 
I would weigh this decision very carefully. I completely understand why you would be considering it but knowing just these 2 things I would have probably looked harder for other solutions. Wish you the best of luck in your decision. :-)

If anyone has any information about what happens to your body after an endometrial ablation.  I have gained 20 pounds since July of 2011.

I beleive it is hormonal but doctors can not find a reason.  All my weight is in my stomach.

I AM DESPERATE!!!!!!!!!!

well i had nova sure done in aug of 2010 and had a weight gain of about 10-15 pounds that i am still trying to lose to this day.. First let me tell you that i am a very avid exerciser i burn 300plus calories a day on tred mill , 50 crunchs, pilaties, and cardio boxing, have had tests done and everything good , even after having 2 children i was in a size 3-5 now size 9 and like other posts most all of it in stomach, but my family doc said that it is common 4 women who have had any kind of female surgery done 2 gain weight and i belive that some is water weight because some days i can lose 2-3 pounds or gain 2-3 pounds in a 24 hr period.. hope this helps

I had thermal ablation done in October 2011 for bleeding between periods.  Tried birth control for a year but it did not seem to help.  It was more of a nusense then anything else.  My doctor suggested I have the ablasion.  I read up on it and there was nothing in there about excessive weight gain.  I am now six months later and although have not gained much (5 lbs.) I look four months pregnant carrying the weight all in my belly area.  I am 43 have had four kids and am 5'9 and ususally weigh in around 145 lbs. with just a little muffin top from the pregnancies.   I thought maybe the whole after 40 thing was starting to kick in and maybe I needed to work out even more then I do but after reading all the posts above at my six month visit I will defintely bring this up with my doctor.  If this is something I have to live with not sure I would have had  the ablasion in the first place. 

I had the procedure done in January, 2012 and I have gained 20 lbs. and it's all in my stomach/abdomen area. I am so PISSED!!! My physician stated this is not a side affect and I beg to differ. After reading all these posts I am horrifield. If I would have known this, I NEVER WOULD have had this procedure done. I will take bleeding over weight gain. I am 40 and have been the same weight for the past 20 years. I exercise twice a day, eat healthy and no red meat .... Are you freaking kidding me!!! Someone, please help us!