I can't gain weight to save the world! Or even myself at that. I'm 17, 5'10, 128lbs, and really into sports. I haven't been seen by a doctor, but I've looked all over the web trying my hardest to find a simple solution. I've seen many people say, "You're not eating enough! Eat more, lift weights, and you'll see improvement." But thing is, I AM doing that. I've picked up a stronger eating habit eating far more than I used too. I'm eating bigger meals than I can actually take in and throwing a few snacks in after the meal soon as I think I can eat again. A friend of mine, graduated before me, is in the military so we go on base to lift weights, run, and do other workouts. He also recommended high class protein shakes to up my carb and protein intake. Someone recently told me that I just threw my metabolism into a workout so they're working even faster because they're trying to burn and work off what I'm eating so I can stay fit. They said slow down and eat normally to slow my metabolism down but keep the protein shakes in my "diet" to give my body what it needs to run without getting sick. 

Long story, I know but I really need help. I need to be around 135-140 soon. Why aren't I gaining weight? Am I burning everything I consume off before it actually sets in? Extra question, is it true that eating more than usual "throws my metabolism in a workout?" Should I slow my eating down to slow my metabolism down to help gain? 

If all else fails, I'm going with the water weight concept and deprive myself of water eating salty foods. At least just before we weigh-in.

Looks like you have the same problem I have had. I ate 2500-3000 calories a day and didnt gain any weight. While this could mean there is a medical issue such as a thyroid problem, it usually means you need a diet/lifestyle change. Try to reduce activities that burn a lot of calories. Big meals and snacks are great, but if you eat the wrong things, they do nothing for you. My favorite snack that packed on the pounds for me: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of whole milk. Load it with peanut butter and jelly, and a tall glass of milk and you got nearly 700 calories and 20 grams of protein. Do this twice a day. Also, dont be afraid to grab a spoon and eat peanut butter right out of the jar!!! Its packed with calories, fats, and protein. Another great snack is a couple of packages of ramen noodles. They have lots of carbs (and salt) and will pack on a couple pounds quickly. Try to get at least 100 grams of protein per day. Get lots of carbs which is used for energy and lift weights. Last, make sure you keep track of every calorie you eat. Start with 2500 a day for a week. If you dont gain any weight add 250 calories a day. Keep adding until you see a weight change. At some point you WILL gain weight, you just need to find your "zone". Good Luck

Nice tip Hollywood, gonna try this myself.

A best quality multivitamin and mineral supplement is a good concept for weight gain. But make sure you are getting all the necessary vitamins and minerals taht you need. Some people considered that their muscle mass increases with the help of protein supplements that contain certain blends of amino acids, such as creatine and glutamine.

Because of all the exercise you make I assume you spend more than 3,000 or even 4,000 calories per day, so you have to get more calories with the diet, if you want to get weight. You may search for "calorie charts" to find out how much calories particular foods have.

When I was 17 I had almost the exact height and weight as you. Then I went to the army and got 10 pounds in a year without even trying. It was a lot of physical exercise and a lot of carbohydrates in food (pasta, potatoes, bread, rice, beans). Only moderate amount of meat or other proteins.

You don't need any special foods, shakes or such. To gain weight, eat foods you like.

Not drinking and eating more salt may very likely result in vomiting or diarrhea. Not drinking results in dehydration - with every pint of water you lose, you lose one pound weight.   

Eating more does not "throw your metabolism in a workout". It's your actual workout and possibly anxiety that burns more weight you'd like.

sit home and watch tv for a couple of days and eat anything and everything. Maybe your body does after all need a break from the routine workout. Eat lots of cheese and meat

Thanks im surely going to try this...DMC