Hello All,

I had acdf c-5 to c-7, 7 weeks ago and am concerned about fatigue.   How much should I push myself when I am exhuasted?   I am a 54yr otherwise healty female and have made great progress, my throat did not bother me at all, I was 1 day in hospital and was eating normal food immediately!  My scar is completely healed and is invisable!  Just started pt on weds & fri, very sore after that.  My progress thus far is very good, I do have soreness in my shoulders and upper and lower back.  I am having a hard time with my family & friends thinking I am cured and can do everything.  I still have the 10lb wight restriction and the Dr. has repeatedly told me to listen to my body if I am tired or sore to STOP.  The surgery was originally recommeded in 2006, I did accupuncture, chiropractor, homeopathic meds, massage and many series of injections, both epidural and facet.  I will tell you the pre surgery pain is virtually gone, I wish I had done this many years ago before it effected my job. 

Is anyone else dealing with family and friends not understanding the fatigue.  My family seems to think since I look well and the scar is healed that I should be up and running.  I do not live with them.  I wake up at around 7am, by 2-3pm, I am exhaused.  the computer is still something that hurts if Im on it more than 1/2 hour, also holding the phone is very tiring as well.  The Dr. clearly told me that my body will tell me when I have done enough, but my family seems to think that I should push myself and make me feel guilty for being tired.   They want me to go visit them all the time, but I just do not feel up to it.   If I do anything I have energy in the mornings, after a good nites rest in bed and do not think it fair they expect me to visit in the eary afternoons or evenining.   They have had ACL and shoulder surgery (out patient) and seem to think the recovery for this is the same.  This stresses me to the point where I begin to get throbbing and spasms feel the tension troughout my neck, and than the pain starts.

Is anyone else dealing with the, oh you look fine and healed issue so you must be able to do everything you did when you were pre-pain?   The "oh you are healed" you are fixed attitude is very hurtful and not sure how to approach it!

Thanks so much.............

Hi, it's simple as that,you don't push.If you tired you take a rest.This is difference between performance training aka athletes and recovery training.Healhy human needs push himself to perform better,while recovering body needs love,gentleness and patience to return to original state.Fatigue means you do more your body can handle and instead improvement it will lead to deteriorating condition.Trust my advice.Im physiotherapy and Sport Scientist now 8 days after second neurospinal surgery.

I am so exhausted after my neck and lower back surgery. I’m better in the morning but quickly down down hill after any activities. I rest then I will get up and try to do something else then I’m exhausted again. How long does this last?