Hi, my mother is a forty nine years old woman. She has been having some strange symptoms. The first one that occurred was dry mouth. Shortly after it, a new symptom arose. She was feeling very tired and exhausted. After seeing a doctor, she was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome. Is there something that you can tell me about Sjogren's syndrome fatigue?

Hi, your mother belongs to the group of people that are at higher risk of being affected by Sjogren's syndrome. This group includes females from the age of forty. Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease. Immune system of our body, in this case, sees the moisture producing glands as a threat. Because of that, it fights them as they were a threat. As a result, inflammation occurs. Symptoms, dry mouth and eyes, are the most common in this disease. However, even more severe ones can be present. Such is fatigue. And this is about everything that I can tell you-fatigue is one of the Sjogren's syndrome symptoms. It is good that your mother has visited a doctor. I am sure that he has placed her under a right medicine therapy.

Fatigue is a MAJOR problem for many with Sjogrens. I was diagnosed at 37 but believe to have Sjogrens since the age of 30, its hard to explain to people how very tired or exhausted you are, mentally I feel like I can do so much but physically my body just can't make another move at times, its almost as though the wind has been knocked out of you. I've tried the energy shots, B12, energy drinks etc and the thing that has worked the best for me is a drug called Nuvigil usually prescribed to those with sleep disorders which many Sjogrens patients have as well. Its not an easy adjustment to get used to not being able to do what everyone else can and at the pace of everyone else. Good Luck to your mom

What meds did your mom end up taking for fatigue? I just don’t feel good tired to the max. Yes have been diagnosed w sjogrens! Thank you Jonna