Hello! I have got tibia stress fracture last week. I am resting now. I am taking pain killers too, because I have terrible pains. But, I want to know what recovery time for tibia stress fracture is. I am not too familiar with medicine field, but I want to back my trainings as soon as possible. Thank you in advance!

Hello! Healing of tibia stress fracture will take about two months. But, for full recover you will need from six to twelve months. It is very important to listen recommendations of your doctor, because he/she best knows what is best for you. I really hope that you will be fully recovered up to six months.

Hi! normally it takes six to eight weeks to recover, however this can vary depending on the severity of the fracture. I am a dancer and I'm suffering from the same injury. I fractured my tibia at the beginning of March but continued to dance on it for a further month, not a good idea! I ended up with another one higher up on the same shin and won't be able to dance for another two months. I also took pain killers, but this only numbed the pain allowing me to do further damage. So my advice to you is get some crutches and put your leg up, if you do this now you could be back in 3 weeks....if you don't rest, like me, who knows how long it could take?!.....Hope it gets better soon.

true! i did the same thing, put on calf supports and played basketball and now i've got a full leg cast for 6 weeks!

I hit my shin on a rock skiing about 1month ago. 2 xrays show nothing. The more I use my leg the more pain. Any ideas? Thx

If the fracture is like really bad it will show up on an X ray my advice to you is to get an MRI or bone scan for best results

you should ask for a MRI its more precise

Ugh! Our daughter, 15, was diagnosed with a stress fracture of tibia, by X-ray about month ago. She wore a boot when she wasn't practicing or playing VB but continued to ply with icing after each. She just finished VB season but will start BBin couple weeks. There is a bump where the pain/fracture is...but when playing, you couldn't tel she was hurt. Would you recommend her waiting to play BB?

well, I am almost 54 years old, ran marathons and extremely athletic for over 30 years of this time, then, it happened, I kept having this burning sensation on the bottom of my left leg, on the tibia, didn't do touch about it, slowed down the training etc, IT NEVER HEALED, then a doctor took my running shoes away and put a cast on and left it for over 4 months, got it out, started doing my training again and !@#$#$% it happened again....so, cast went back on and so on and so on...this started in 1997 and i'm on my 8th same place, stress fracture and again, they just took the cast off and now, there is not training, no running, I simply have to go up the stairs with a basket of laundry and that bone, cracks or opens up.....so, those of you who are on your 1st or 2nd stressed fracture, if it's at the same place....give it a rest and whatever you do, don't ''DON'T'' go back into that same level of training...do something else, find something to keep you happy in a work out....give that bone the rest it needs and a stress fracture is even harder to heal than a full break fracture.....I've had both and this tibia stress fracture brings tears to my eyes every single day because of the pain it gives me, and now, for the last 14 months, I"ve spent more time in a walking cast, and do feel better walking with it...my bone/tibia never really got the time needed to heal or I never took it seriously enough...now I do!!! and like I said, now, there's other issues in place because of my age/bone density/health issues....so, to the lady I am replying...give it a minimum of 4-6 months if 1st stress fracture if it's a repeated one, give it 10 month...and change your training ways, good luck!!

I hear you Colette! I'm in almost same exact position as you. Developed in late 90's, took 16 weeks off of leg after letting it go too long, redeveloped in 2006, took 12 weeks (But not long enough), was able to tame it until just recently in 2018, now it's back. Timing couldn't be worse! Supposed to start a new job in two weeks that's a bit physical, and my quality of life is not so good as a result of this most difficult injury. All my friends and family who knows my situation over the years, still don't fully understand the severity of this type of injury in the tibia. Until you experience it, you'll appreciate being able to walk and live a somewhat normal life. My only hope is that I can stall this new job for 6 weeks to somehow hold out for me and take care to get it into a position where I can at least tame it again for a few years until it returns again and then I can consider some surgical options. However, a repair can take 6 months before weight bearing and another 3 months of good physical therapy before normal use. Like you, I'm at that 50 year old mark in life. I can only hope for the best. Good luck to you too!!!!