Hello, folks. My brother plays football professionally and he hot injured yesterday while playing. He broke a bone in lower leg. His doctor said he had Segond fracture. I must admit that I haven’t heard about this fracture before and I would appreciate if someone could tell me what kind of fracture it is.

Hello. Segond fracture is a type of avulsion fracture of the lateral side of tibial plateau. It is located immediately after the surface where tibia contacts with femur in the knee. Avulsion fracture appears when soft tissue tears off bits of bone fragments on the places where these soft tissues are attached on the bone. It can be associated with medial meniscus or anterior crucial ligament injury. For visualizing it, there should be radiography done. MRI shows even more details. I hope your brother will feel better. Feel free to ask me anything. I will try to help if I can. Bye!