Lately I have heard something that worries me. My friend told me that childbirth and chronic increases in intra-abdominal pressure could cause rectocele. This worried me since I am terrified of thinking something goes out of my anus. Can you tell me more about this problem; is it what I think it is? Is surgery the only way to treat rectocele, or there is some other way?

In some patients, rectocele is thought to develop because of inherited weaknesses of the pelvic support system. Off course, reasons could be those you mentioned as well. Patients with rectoceles may present with an asymptomatic bulge found during the pelvic examination. For patients without any symptoms of recotocele, expectant management is recommended. Treatment of rectocele could be nonsurgical and surgical methods. Both are available for treating symptomatic patients with rectocele, and generally, treatment is determined by the age of the patient. What kind of treatment patient will receive depends of desire for future fertility, the desire for coital function, the severity of symptoms, the degree of disability, and the presence of complications. Each physician that is going to treat patient for rectocele has duty to inform women of their treatment options and the potential benefits and risks of each option. Medical treatment options for women with symptoms consist of management with pessaries.