My father is suffering from a liver tumor and is about to receive alcohol injections as a treatment. I would like to know what kind of alcohol this is and what effect can they have on my dad? Thank you in advance!

Hello! Injections your father is about to receive are ethanol injection, which means 100% absolute alcohol. They are injected in the center of the tumor through the skin. The alcohol causes cells to dry out and cellular protein to disintegrate, which leads to death of tumor cells. The injections are part of a treatment. Actually each treatment consists of one injection, and sometimes series of injections may also be recommended to effectively treat the tumors. Alcohol injection is a safe and easy procedure that prolongs survival (40 - 70% at three years) with small hepatocellular cancers. It provides palliative management of metastatic liver cancer and can, in some cases, extend patient survival rate.