I have seen some older related posts on this topic but see no meaningful answers. Part of the problem is that people aren't motivated to respond to something that was posted 7 years ago. So, here is a fresh take on the problem: For over 20 years, I have experienced a rough feeling on my inner lower lip and rough/bumpy inner cheeks and under the tongue. These are not "bumps" and don't have liquid in them. These are also not salivary glands - I know what/where these are. It feels like sandpaper (and no, I don't have drymouth) or literally rough surface, and this surface is somewhat weak (like old skin) and is easy to bite into (I am under 40, and this is not because I am falling apart - I have no HIV/AIDS or any autoimmune disorders). It started slowly when I was 17 or 18 and has gotten slowly worse over 20 years. For some strange reason, no doctor can identify/diagnose this, but most doctors (erroneously) confuse confuse this with thrush, or candida/yeast/fungal overgrowth. Hypotheses coming from various people and medical professionals all-over the internet include dietary problems (no, I have fasted - as in NO FOOD AT ALL, just water - for 14 days, and it didn't go away), allergies (no, this never goes away when you take even the strongest allergy meds), toothpaste (no way, I brushed my teeth without any paste for 30+ days and it stayed). There are TWO things that improve or eliminate this for me. One is alcohol (funny right?): if I drink a lot of hard liquor (vodka or tequila party time with old friends), chances are the next morning this will be gone almost entirely... but will always return within 24 hours (note: rinsing the mouth with alcohol has ZERO effect - I must drink it and must drink enough to be tipsy, if not drunk!). The other is antibiotics: every time I have taken antibiotics (e.g., azithromycin) for an upper respiratory infection (cold), the problems in my mouth go away for a few days... but then always returns within a week. Isn't there at least one good doctor who can diagnose and treat this? The rough feeling on the mucous surfaces inside the mouth is the least of my concerns. The problem is that I tend to bite and chew my cheeks and lower lip, which is embarrassing and uncomfortable... but most importantly, it exposes the resulting micro injuries to whatever foods and liquids I put in my mouth, which over many years can trigger tissue malformation and cell mutations... which can eventually turn into cancers. Doctors? Scientists? Does anyone have brains to solve this problem? Search the net for this: there are thousands of people with this problem, and no one knows what it is.

2017 - I have the same symptoms on the inner cheeks and upper and lower inner lips. I have seen dentist, Dr., Oral Surgeon, had two biopsies with no definitive conclusions. After the second biopsy, mouth was so tender that I found I left it alone - quit biting, chewing the exposed sloughing skin. It went away. Now after two years, it has returned. I find that coating petroleum jelly helps healing, but teaching myself to "leave it alone" is a process in the works. I have concluded it is a nervous habit (I think of it as self mutalation as a deterant - I am not self destructive). If I can leave it alone for 7 days, the mouth skin should regenerate with new skin my then and be smooth. This is my approach at this time.

i have had for 3 yrs and no idea where it came from. i’ve seen every type dr/dentist. biopsies negative. blood work autoimmune disease negative. changed toothpastes, stopped certain meds and still there. not painful but annoying. i’ve read every post and website on it and no answers. xerstomia and sialogogues are 2 things i read about recent. trying herbal hormone pills and special toothpaste for xerostomia now to see if helps. if not, i will keep searching.

Have they mentioned lichen planus?

OMG...I, too have this same condition. A dentist charged me $150 to only say, after a 5 minute review of my mouth: "I have no idea what this is." I was going to go to a medical doctor to see if he could diagnose the problem but it doesn't sound like that will result in a diagnosis, either. Has anyone found anything that lessens the condition and returns the mouth tissue to a smooth silky base???

I cant even tell you all what a relief it is to hear someone other than myself is suffering with this! It feels like a very fine sand paper on everything in my mouth! It's not "dry mouth" because it's making me fat the chills, similar to nails on a chalkboard type chills. Which subsequentially makes me produce twice as much saliva as normally produced. It's such a horrible feeling. What can I do???

I noticed I started to get them a few years ago when I stopped using chewing tobbaco the weird thing is I never had any problems with anything in my mouth before I stopped and the dentist didn't even recognize that I used chewing tobacco has anyone found what this might be and also they go away for me as well for 24 or so hours after a night out drinking

I'm so glad to find others out there with the same thing! I've been trying to figure this out for the last year and only recently asked my dentist. She seemed to think it was fungus related & gave me a prescription for diflucan - which I had already tried, but hasn't worked. It doesn't seem to be in the exact same spit - will temporarily go away for a few days (now I'll have to pay attention to it coinciding with drinking liquor!) and then return in a new spot on my cheek or inner lip. Does it also sometimes result in cracked lips for any of you, too? (This is new, so maybe unrleated.)

I just got this after switching to a (really) high-flouride toothpaste on my dentists recommendation. (About 1 week in now.)

First thought was fungal/yeast infection, but after reading all of your replies, I'm starting to suspect my new toothpaste. I also use tobacco (snus), similar to previous commenter, but have been doing so for the past couple years so I don't think that's the issue.

Gonna bring this up with my dentist and see what she thinks, and also switch back to my old toothpaste for a couple of days. Perhaps the flouride thing is relevant to you guys as well.

Did you figure what that is? I have the exact same symptoms..!

New Member
1 post
Same thing here. I've had it since returning from two weeks in Europe (Belgium, Germany, Austria, Czechia). Would love to know if any of you have made any new discoveries or had any relief.