Can anyone help me find out what is wrong with me. About once every two weeks and at night only, around the same time 9-10, i would feel itchy and little burning on a little area on both my top and bottom lip and will start to swell.. And it's the same feeling so I would just put chapstick on and the itchy and burning feeling will go away and that little area will be swollen for an hour or two. This just started happening about 3 months ago and I have no idea what causes it. Please help.

It could be some kind of allergy. You can do allergy test to know what is causing this allergies. It could be some food, plant or periodical allergy. Do you know what did you eat before the lip swelling? Did you washed your face or mouth with any lubricants, creams or similar before you felt this itching and swelling?

However these symptoms are similar to those for nettle rash (also known as urticaria). The rash may vary in shape and size, can be very itchy and usually goes away within 24 hours. However, this is also triggered by allergic reaction (mostly Eggs, nuts, strawberries and seafood are some of the common culprits), contact with plants such as stinging nettles, contact with animals or creatures, such as stinging jellyfish, substances, such as perfumes, preservatives, colorings, nickel or tar.

If swelling occurs around the eyes, hands, larynx, tongue or, like in your case- on the lips, then this condition is called something like angioneurotic oedema. My sister had this thing and she went to dermatologist and has been treated with steroids, antihistamines or adrenaline. Of course you can try some self help measures like a cool shower or applying a cold compress to the affected area; light clothing; avoiding scratching the affected area; applying an antihistamine cream or an antihistamine tablet to relieve any itching... etc ...
To get the right diagnosis go and visit your dermatologist, because you may not have urticaria, but your symptoms are identical with this from my sister. Anyway she’s allergic on many things and she didn’t know it until she made her first allergy test. Therefore I suggest you to do the same ...

I get this periodically too. I've had a battery of allergy tests, but hasn't pinned down the cause, but I think I've stumbled upon it myself. Do a Google search of Oral Allergy Syndrome. It's most likely fresh fruit or vegetables which is the cause. It's a distinct possibility, especially for someone who is allergic to other things too. I hate taking oral Benadryl (makes me so tired), but it's the only thing that has lessened and shortened the symptoms. Benedryl ointment also soothes my lips. I eat a lot of bananas and celery and I suspect I'm allergic to pollen or chemicals or something else that are on or in them. My lips get red around the perimeter, extremely chapped, and feel like elephant hide. They eventually get dry enough that they shed a layer. Keeping ointments soothes them, but doesn't make it go away.

I get this a lot too, I have gotten every allergy test imaginable and it did not help but do not scratch them! I made that mistake and it became a pus oozing wound. I recommend using a anti itch cream like Lanacane or just leaving it to go away in a few hours.

Good luck

If this ever happens again, Lipton red tea is a miracle worker. You can use a wet teabag to dab your lips for maybe 10 minutes. The swelling will come down. :-)

Instead of buying all that cream, you can just use red tea. Make some tea and use the teabag to dab your lips. Do this for about 10 minutes and the swelling will go down. This happens to me too and I have yet to go see an allergist. Good luck! :-)

My lip issue started 2 months ago. I noticed the edge of my bottom lip was getting red, itchy and cracked. Almost like I had chapped lips, but it wasn't on my lip- it was on the edge and underneath on my skin. Over a few weeks the problem spread from one side of my bottom lip to the other and then up and around my top lip. At the worst it also came onto my full lips in a chapped, red, itchy, swollen mess. I had been to my family doctor who suggested I stop using all lip gloss, lip chap and lipstick and instead use pure vasiline (in the tubs, usually in the baby department of a drug store). It is possible my lips were being irritated and vasiline would keep them moist while being a product very basic in ingredients to minimize irritation. That didn't do much good. Then my doctor suggested I drink more water. It's possible I was dehydrated, hence my lips chapping. This minimized the issue slightly, but it did not go away. Finally my doctor asked what type of toothpaste I was using. (HUH??) I told her one of those toothpastes with 12-hour protection, tartar control, whitening, etc. She told me to check and see if my toothpaste contained an ingredient called "triclosan". It did! She said triclosan is in many health and beauty products and is said to provide antibacterial properties, however it is pretty much just a toxin used in tiny tiny amounts. Since I have sensitive skin already, the triclosan may be causing adverse side effects more substantial than most peopel would notice. I stopped using my toothpaste right away, and switched for a basic toothpaste with no triclosan, and within a few days noticed that my lip issue was slowly going away. It has been a week since I've switched and the issue isn't completely gone yet, but I suggest everyone check into "Triclosan" and find out if it is in your toothpaste. Apparently it is found mostly in tartar control toothpastes. Also, do a Google search for it and you will find out that this ingredient is starting to be investigated due to reports of side effects.

This happens to me periodically every 3 months or so...I try to track what I've eaten and or put on my lips so I can see if there is a pattern and so far nothing.
The first time it happened was about 3 years ago after a dentist appt. At first I thought maybe I was allergic to latex but it has happened now several times since then without the dentist appt.
I'm sure it's allergy related, I just wish I knew what was causing this.
I am going to try the red tea for relief.
It usually lasts 2 or 3 weeks and is painful at times and just irritating at times.