Hi. I'm 30 year old female and I'm frightened right now because I don’t know how serious my condition is. About a month ago I have noticed that the skin in my mouth started to peel off.
The biggest “peeling region” is the inner side of checks and my gums behind my upper lip. It happened quite sudden.
I just woke up one morning and I could felt the pieces of skin on my tongue.
I don’t know what could cause this but I have heard a lot terrible stuff about some skin disorders that always start like this.
Please tell me that this isn’t something serious! Help!

First of all, I don’t think this could be some serious skin disorder because you haven’t notices any other skin changes on your body.
Several things could cause you this peeling.
First, I would like to mention herpes simplex viral infection that is usually harmless. It could be also some fungal infection.
If this is a case that some antifungal oral medication should relieve your symptoms.
Even change of toothpaste could be the trigger for this peeling.
But I must mention that this could be also a sing of some sexually transmitted disease so paying a visit to your doctor could be crucial for setting the right diagnosis.

The inside of my cheeks and lips also peel. I notice that it only happens on the days or night that I use a whitening toothpaste, the extra peroxide in the toothpaste isnt very gentle on the tissue in the mouth..try simply switching to something like reguler crest toothpaste, the peeling might stop..it did for me... hope that helps..

Thank you all for taking the time to post your message. This really helped me understand why my mouth is peeling. I too just recently changed toothpaste. I'm using Colgate Whitening w/baking soda & peroxide. Since I started using this toothpaste I noticed that the inside of my cheeks & lips were peeling.

Hello. I am a dental hygiene student, and I am in no place to diagnose, but I also often after waking up in the morning have peeling of the inside of my cheeks and around my gums. I asked my teacher about it, and she stated that it is most likely just epithelial peeling, or sloughing off of the tissue. She stated that it is usually caused by irritating effects of toothpastes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate, certain fluorides in toothpastes (especially Crest), tarter control toothpastes or chlorhexidine mouthwash. Treatment is to stop using the products taht are irritating the tissue. Biotene products are good ones to use, they are non-irritating. Hope this helps!

[oh my god i did everything perioxide with baking soda i change my tooth paste and it help thank you very much. i went crazy when i see my lips was peeling out i even went to get an HIV AND A RPR test this how crazy i went

I tried this, and it works for me. 3 L-Carnosine (500mg each) in the a.m. on empty stomach. I started out with 2, but 3 works best for me.
I dont understand it, and I have searched all over and finally found something.

Good luck.

vancise,
Did you ever get help with your lip condition?? I too struggle with this and am waiting for help...thanks.
Firebride.

I would like to thank the above poster for the explanation.

I used a tube of Crest toothpaste and the entire inside of my mouth peeled, including my tongue TWICE.

Crest toothpaste is poison. Does anybody know if Crest toopthpaste is made in China?

i have had this problem for the past couple years, and quite recently its gotten worse. I'm 20, and smoke alot so i figured that was the problem (which is definately adding to the problem, even if it isnt the root cause.)
this past few days ive been freaked out because I looked online and saw that it was a good indicator of HIV and man i havent been able to sleep and im thinking about death and dying and my family... ive been going crazy about it. But seeing that others have had the same thing, mentioning the same toothpaste i use, etc. this has lifted a weight off of me like you wouldnt believe. I will still go and get an HIV test because ill probably think about it until a doctor tells me for certain yes or no, but I am definatly less worried about it now. wow i was so freaked out Oo

I have had this problem for at least 20 years and it has never been anything serious, but bothersome as I have stringy pieces come out of my mouth and my lips even peel sometimes. I don't have any disease. From what I can best tell and after asking my doc, it seems to be any time you have more acid in your mouth this happens. Example: last night I ate Pringles Salt and Vinegar chips. The vinegar made me wake up with a lot of peeling. Toothpastes can produce the same affects. My doc also said that the Acid Reflux I have could help produce this problem. It is freaky, but I am still alive after all these years of it with never anything more than the peeling skin. Hope that helps some of you.

I get this to. I also have acid reflux. Does your oral mucossa look white?

I have the same thing happen to me. Does your mouth turn a chalky white color?

the same thing happened to me and i read the hiv thing and idk LOFL i just switched to a new tooth paste baking soda and whitening thank gosh

I get this and it doesn't seem to make any difference what toothpaste I use.

I have a nasty feeling that in my case it's a fungal infection. This is a bit gross I'm afraid but I think my athlete's foot spread from my feet to my hands at one point, and from there to my mouth.

I've read that when there's an infection in your mouth, your mucous membranes (like the inside of you mouth) generate all this mucus to fight it off and stop it getting into your system. So it looks to me like the gunk isn't itself an infection, but may be a reaction to a chronic infection.

I had a test done but it didn't come up with anything other than a fair amount of bacteria. However, I'm pretty sure that the test doesn't look for any fungal infection other than thrush. It is frustrating because it means I can't get prescribed any anti-fungal medication to see if that works.