This reply is for all of you.
I was feeling sorry for myself until I found this web-sight, now I feel sorry for the rest of you and consider myself lucky!
I also have had several operations, 7 in all, in the past 18 months. Like most of you, it started with the heart operation; That was a breeze.
Everything was O K until the wire pulled from my sternum. They removed my sternum and the c**p started. I ended up with a staff infection, like most of you.
An open drain in my chest for 8 months; Than 5 more operations.  I was looking for information on the possibility of an artificial replacement of my sternum.
I found site I don't know now; I think I should cut my loses and quit.

THIS IS A GOOD SITE, HOWEVER; IF THEY COULD FIND A WAY OF ALLOWING US TO COMMUNICATE BACK & FORTH. IT WOULD IMPROVE .

Hi Flordia Sunbum, Its been almost 2 years they took my sternum ,I still split wood on the splitter, do just about every thing outside living in Ohio.Just relax let life take its coarse. Pi[efitter Bob

Marta, look at the rest of these letters; They are not kidding ! I don't know what to tell you. I had mine removed 3 years ago, without warning, they just took it out. Since then i have 5 more operations on it; It is stilled messed up. I'm 78 and don't know what to do It's not right and hurts almost all the time. In addition, now I am left with a big lump in the middle of my chest, like another boob! This is from a hernia I got after the operation.

I have gone through almost exact same thing 1.5 years ago and it always feels like my collar bone is moving or i feel like my chest is ina cage so far it is ok as i guess the alternative is far worse Larry Rother St Anne Des Lacs Quebec

The sternectomy support site does allow back ad forth well Greg a

I have lost my sternum and Dr,s have cut away several ribs due to staff infection after triple bypass  had 7 operations and now have muscle flap where sternum was     My question is that i am in constant pain  mostly bearable but sometimes very bad.The doctor ahs given me a prescription for Oxycodin 10 mg three times daily  i am 68 yrs old and feel adverse to taking these pills  All the specialists,heart,micro biology ,general tell me not to worry and take pills to better my quality of lifw but i feel leary to take them as directed   i have taken in the last few months on occasion but stiil am nervous about pills   Anyone out there in same condition and can offer advise will be much appreciated

Larry

i have gone through the same thing and have had my sternham and many ribs removed.Of course your life changes but we are alive and manage to live a full life.It has to do with attitude so good luck and keep fighting
L Rother

Hellox
i have had basically the condition and had a series of 7 operations and then it took another 15 months for the wounds to heal,but have chroic bone infection and take antibiotics daily.But all is well and pain is something we learn to live with.i take 10mg of oxycodeine 2 times daily
god Bless
Larry

What problems are you living with Guest ? Is your sternum broken up and grating like mine was. They removed the sternum and used some Omentum (( fat ) from below the diaphragm to fill in the big void. All it did was make a path for my stomach and liver to herniate up into my chest like a giant center breast. I too had the Vac for quite a while.

Maybe someone who knows how could set up a site or something.

There is one look up Sternectomy and Support
as noted in a post above

Greg A

I am reading up on sternum removal ,my bf recently went thru this, the doctors are disscusing a muscle flap.i am very involved and dedicated to help him through this

You can google "stesrnectomy support" and you will find us there (aprox 36 actual members) ....this site was started as in 2007 when my sternum was taken to infection there was little to nothing on the world wide web and I kept posting my number as I have a great calling plan and allows me to call anywhere in North America at no extra cost and so have spoken to MOST of the patients there ....this site will not allow me to post contact info or web links and I can respect that as that is the forum rule

G.A, Heenan AKA mrbbq

I had a quadruple bypass in 2001 resulting in being infected with MRSA and that resulted in TEN plastic operations and the removal of sternum and other parts.  Saved with a flap then attempts at having a mesh placed in my chest which was fine for some months thenI had to have a second attempt whci was unfortunately similarly unsuccessful.  David Gately was the Plastic Surgeon who performed miracles and is probably one of the best in his field but could not consider further surgery as I had AF.  Five months in ICU on a ventilator.  A year later I was diagnosed with cancer of the tonsil and palet and tteated at the Royal Marsden fo rnearly a year then at Edinburgh Western General for five years before clearance.  My wife died in 2006 from cancer of the pancreas BUT I am still alive and will be 76 this year.  Have sailed around the world over the last ten years or so.  I thank God and all the folks who prayed for me and for all the great Surgeons and nurses who kept me alive whilst others around me were passing on.  I am barrel chested butthat seems to be the biggest problem.  So live for every single moment of every single day and believe me there is life after sternum loss. 

Dec.12,2013 went in the hospital for a triple A ( tear in the main artery that comes out of the heart) and round up having 4 operations due to an infection in the breast bone and had it removed, and a tissue flap to cover up the heart, I was finaly sent home from the hospital March 17th, 2014, (3 months 5 days) then rehab for 2 months, it is now 9/23/2014 I still have numbness in the chest and a heavyness all the time,and was told I would never lift more than 10 lbs, I have hardly any strength to even carry gallion of milk! I am 53 years old,and used to be a service technician and fix restaurant equipment, which I can no longer do! I am working at a sit down job helping other techs. repair equpment over the phone (I have 30yrs exp.) Making half of what I was used to, but I am working! Thank God! I just hope life will get better and back to normal! Soon!