Hi, I have a problem with an annoying cold that just won’t go away. I first noticed that something was wrong about three weeks ago. I got typical symptoms of a cold; a headache, running nose, sore throat, a light fever. I thought it was nothing serious so I didn’t want to go to the doctor, so I stayed at home for a while, drank a lot of fluids, vitamins, lemon, herbal tea and anything else that I could think of that I knew could help with the symptoms of cold. But I'm in a fourth week now and the symptoms aren’t going away. The throat is a little less sore than it used to be, but the headaches are still there. What am I supposed to do and does anybody have any idea how to get rid of this?

If “standard procedure” for treating a common cold didn’t work then this might be some more serious condition. The biggest mistake you made is not going to the doctor within the first week of the appearance of the symptoms. This is probably some kind of a resistant bacterial infection, by the fact that you have consistent headaches I think that this might be a case of acute sinuitis. Sinuitis is a inflammation of the bone sinuses of the scull, or as they are called paranasal sinuses caused most frequently by bacteria. Sinuitis is a consequence of the infection that happens somewhere else in the upper respiratory tract and then spreads from the nose to the sinuses. Since the sinuses all have respiratory lining, when that lining becomes infected it gets thicker and blocks the entrances to the paranasal sinuses which prevents the mucus from evacuating to the nasal cavity. Too much mucus in the sinuses causes headaches in patients with sinuitis. You should definitely go and see your doctor as soon as possible. You will get some antibiotics that should take care of the headaches and the sinuitis.

First of all I don't think she made a mistake by not going to the dr's within the first week. People that run to the emerg use up valuable dollars and time and spread germs. She did'nt say she had those symptoms right off the bat which makes sense as colds if they choose to can migrate to ENT or chest. Knowing then when to go is most important. They say if you develop new signs that's indication there's a problem. ie getting a fever well into a cold. People are going to emerg and vommiting and sh**ting all over the floor, stay at home instead of spreading it around. Common sense. I agree that is sounds like a case of sinuitis that has developed from the initial illness.

I HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS PRETTY MUCH BROUGHT ON BY A MAJOR FLU. BUT I HAVE NO FEVER NO STOMACH AILMENTS NO SORE THROAT JUST SEVERE SINUS PRESSURE AND MY EARS ARE CLOGGED. I CAN NOT TAKE ANTIBIOTICS. I HAVE OTHER STOMACH PROBLEMS THAT WORSEN TO THE POINT OF BEING EXTREME IF I TAKE THEM. MY QUESTION IS THE SAME AS HIS IN THE WAY THAT I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY EFFECTIVE ALTERNATIVES TO AN ANTIBIOTIC. ANYTHING AS POTENT WITH OUT THE SAME NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS. WILL A PROBIOTIC BEING A PROMOTION OF GOOD BACTERIA INSTEAD OF KILLING ALL BACTERIA GOOD AND BAD HAVE THE SAME EFFECT?