I had my tonsils and adenoids removed 18 days ago. I was just starting to feel decent, only slight amount of pain(mostly in ear) and yesterday I started to get a little bit of a runny nose, i thought must be allergies. But today my nose is so stuffy I cant breathe, I have a headache and im exhausted. I have to breathe through my mouth which causes my throat to get dry, which hurts. Did anyone else get cold like symptoms after tonsillectomy?

Hi msaly.
Infections are very common after tonsillectomy. The common post tonsillectomy complications include infections of throat or mouth, such as cold or thrush. Tonsils are 'the first line' of defense against bacteria and viruses. Once they're out, the organism is more prone to different infections, especially infections of the respiratory tract. These infections may require further treatment with intravenous or oral antibiotics. Sometimes if they occur right after surgery, these infections may result in an extended hospital stay. You can try to ease your symptoms with fever reducers such as aspirin, or painkillers if pain is present. Your pharmacist would give you the best advice about how to treat your cold symptoms. Also, if these symptoms become worse or they last for too long, visit your doctor. Any infection, even the smallest one such as cold, should be taken very seriously, especially after the surgical procedure, like tonsillectomy.

Our ENT that preformed the surgery told us absolutely NO aspirin, NSAIDS etc... because they thin the blood and could cause bleeding. Prescription meds from ENT only or Tylenol. In general it's very bad to take blood thinners after surgery unless otherwise noted by a physician

Hello my son have the same issues with you, he dad cold and cough after surgery its been a month but it does not go away. He had a hard time breathing at night and it bothers me so much. Its been a month but hus breathing is far more worst than before.