My father is emotionally unstable person with history of alcohol and drug abuse. His doctor told me that he should take Ritalin for his disorder. I would like to know more about side effects of Ritalin?

I will give you some symptoms that have been reported in patients taking Ritalin. The most common side effects of Ritalin are nervousness and insomnia and they are usually controlled by reducing dosage. Some other side effects include hypersensitivity, skin rashes, urticaria, fever, arthralgia, erythema multiforme and many others. There were also reports of anorexia, nausea, dizziness drowsiness, palpitations, headache and dyskinesia. Toxic psychosis has been reported too, such as blood pressure and pulse changes but you don’t have to worry that your father will have all of these symptoms. Everyone is different, as their reactions to certain drugs. What is important is that your father is monitored by his doctor and that his condition is under control. Some patients who were taking this drug had abnormal liver function, ranging from transaminase elevation to hepatic coma. Isolated cases of cerebral arteries and occlusion, leucopenia or anemia, transient depressed mood were also reported in some cases. I am sure that your father will be all right as long as he is under supervision of his doctor.