Hello

The softer area beneath the tongue between the base of the tongue and gumline has a rougher (sandier) feel than normal when probing with the tip of my tongue. This has been the case for about a week. I first noticed it during being in a salt water pool which had also had chlorine added, and thought at first it had to do with that, but it has, like I say, been a week. It does not hurt nor itch. It does not seem to look unusual, although I'm not quite sure what usual is since I paid little attention to what it looked like before. It only bothers me because of its unusualness. My mouth has been dry lately, but then it has been dry before without this happening.

Am I being paranoid or should this concern me? I almost hate to make a Dr. appointment over just this.

Thank you in advance for any helpful word.

I am having the same exact! problem! I went to the Dr. He didnt see anything out of the ordinary and he gave me Nystatin for thrush and it did nothing!! Can somebody help??

I had this happen after a dentist visit, it went away after a couple of weeks. Don't know what it was, just swollen I guess.

I have the same thing also. I also feel the further i probe with my tongue (under my tongue) I feel a little bump. Like you said, I think it looks wierd, but never paid much attention to that area before. It is a little sore...but this all just started a few days ago. Wondering how you made out? Thanks.

I am having a simmilar problem, only mine hurts a little bit. When I rub under my tongue, it has ridges and skin is peeling off, doea anyone have any answers? I, too, would feel silly making a Dr.s appointment for something so minor, but I would like to know what it is.

i have the same thing...my hubby was getting canker sores under the tongue last week and i was getting what you guys described: between my tongue and under the gums of my bottom molars a dry sandy texture without pain or discomfort. I've found that rinsing with an antibac mouthrinse helps considerably. Detoxing and temporarily discontinuing any consumption of acidic foods helps too (it gets noticably worse after i have sugar or fried/roasted/toasted/baked foods). Watermelon spray for my hubby worked for his canker sores - usually available from a chinese herbalist.

I have the precise situation. It may be a coincidence, but I have a salt water pool and I have had this unusual roughness under my tongue. I have no pain, but it feels odd and it hasn't gone away after about 5 days straight. It's definitely not canker sores or red bumps of any sort. Did anyone (including the originating post) ever find an answer to their problem? I'm not worried about cancer, or anything dramatic, but it's clearly not normal. I don't have food allergies, and I've never had this feeling before. Sure, I've had bumps that have come and gone, viral perhaps. I've had cankers, so I know what they feel like, but this is odd. And, it's slightly spreading to the inside of my lips.

i'm having problems in that area too...i have like a lump there but mine's not rough feeling really...it's like a smooth lump...i made my mom look at it and she said she couldn't see much difference in either side, but the other side feels completely normal. I haven't been in a pool but I have been gargling salt water off & on due to throat problems. I'm afraid I'm dying of cancer or something because I have other weird mouth bumps too! o.O

Mouth bumps seem pretty normal. I think that everyone gets them every so often. Stress absoultely seems to be related to the sudden appearance of mouth sores, such as cankers. Are you stressed a lot? There is a mouthwash that I use and was recommended that has really great healing elemnts. It's made by Colgate called Peroxyl. Basically, it's hydrogen peroxide (plus stuff) and it helps healing. I'mnot a doctor, but this was recommended if I had sores in my mouth because it helps to oxidize and kill bacteria. But, Viral things will just have to wait and let them go away naturally. Mouth sores can be freaky, but nothing crazy unless you smoke heavily or smoke cigars or chew tobacco or something.

thanks for the reply... yes lately I have been really stressed. but i have also smoked pot in the past, at times I smoked alot at once o.O but only a few times...havent smoked in probably about a month...and I will never do it again, EVER!!!

but listen to your body. Sores and things like that can sometimes be signals that your body is trying to reject and fight off stuff -- all to try and keep you healthy. I would be careful of saying "never" because that's not realistic. But do things if you feel they are right and for the right reasons. Smoking pot is usually a way to escape stresses and realities, and no one likes stress. But reward your body with stuff that helps relieve stress AND is good for it at the same time. That's why people walk on the beach or go hiking or biking or to the park or beach or whatever. It's relaxing and good for you at the same time. Your body always tries to forgive you for abusing it, but it can take so much before it starts to break down too. Stress is normal. It's how we deal with it that can be harmful. Don't keep it bottled up. Get it out somehow. Find someone who you can talk to, or write, or draw or whatever. I know. I've been there and I sometimes have to deal with realities that I hate. But, whatever. I'm not perfect, I just do the best I can, and I try to not take things out on my body. Maybe on other things. haha

Hi

I forgot I even posted that. It went away after several days if memory serves. Never came back. Haven't been in a saltwater pool since then either so who knows?

By way of response about mention of canker sores, I've had a LOT FEWER of those since I stopped using toothpaste containing sodium lauryl sulfate. As for the remainder, sometimes drying them up a bit and then swabbing on, gently, some liquid propolis extract seems to help some, or at least numb it and cover it for a bit.

Hey, I just saw this post... I have this exact same thing going on right now...
I didn't know how to describe it but a rough texture under the tongue is pretty much exactly right. It is also a little bit on the inside of my lower lip and gums.
I sure hope it goes away for me too. It makes me feel better to know that others have had it and it went away on its own.

I am going to watch it and see what happens. I will let you know what happens.

I am having the same problem too! The roughness is under my toungue, on the roof of my mouth at the back and on the skin of my lower lip in front of my teeth. It has now been 3 months and has not gotten better. After the first 3 weeks, I went my family doctor and he also prescribed Nystatin 100,000u/ml for 10 days. It did not work. I went to a walk in clinic at the end of Dec and the doctor there did a swab which turned out negative for candida.
Using a mirror with a flashlight, under my tounge, there are several (tens of) small white specs. I would estimate them to be about 0.2mm in diam. I went back to my family dr and he made me an appointment with an ENT. I saw the ENT last week. The ENT redid the swab test and was able to remove a few of the small white specs using the swab. I have not received the results of that test yet. The ENT said "I've never seen anything like this", which doesn't give me a lot of confidence that a solution will be found.
Has anyone found a solution?
Thanks

I have the same thing where under my throat feels strange and rougher than I think it does normally. I also have a sore throat that is very irritating. I am worried just because it is so uncomfortable. Apart from that there is nothing else and it does not feel like a cold or a flu or anything like that. I made a doctor's appointment but does anyone know of anything that I could take to lessen the discomfort?