I need some medical advice/suggestions on this pressing issue. Here is the situation: About a month ago I was wearing a night guard to protect my teeth from grinding while asleep. In the morning following the third night using the night guard, my upper lip showed signs of swelling, and upon further inspection, it became clear that my gum/frenulum had suffered a cut/damage. I'm thinking the night guard had been the cause of this but I am not entirely sure. I consulted a "family doctor" who informed me that no severe damage had taken place and that my swollen lip would completely recover - however, this was two weeks ago and my upper lip has not shown significant signs of recovery since then. I fear that the swelling is permanent and will not subside any further unless I have a full examination of my upper lip to see what exactly is causing it to remain swollen. It is still partly sensitive and tender when touching it, and although the swelling has partly diminished since a month ago, it has not completely healed and I fear that it will remain in its current state forever. When I smile, a slight "double lip" appears near the center of my upper lip which was not present before this incident. I've been reading some articles that suggest perhaps I am suffering from "Hematoma" in my lip but I'm not completely sure about that. I've been also taking anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen and using an ice compression that have proved to be ineffective in solving this problem. Could you recommend me a particular course of action I should take to remedy my lip swelling? Any advice or suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am having a similar problem but has become complicated. I received my nightguard around Mar. 1. Hard plastic molded to upper teeth. It scratched the inside of my upper lip and I went in twice to have it adjusted. I thought that because the nightguard was touching the inside lip that the skin was becomming toughened but now I believe it was swelling.

Now the complicated part. This information may or may not be related to the nightguard and may be coincidental. I ate a lot of organic strawberries, next week ate peaches, next week went to London and ate a basket of raspberries. Outer lip really began to swell. I now understand this was hives or angioedema. I had 4 episodes with each one getting worse. Last time, lips, neck, face, eyes, tongue swelled. My GP is sending me for allergy testing.

My dentist says he doesn't believe I am allergic to the nightguard materials but now I am wondering if just the stretching of the lip and the scratches were part of the problem. Go on youtube and search 'swollen lips' and you will see a gal with a really awful problem. Mine weren't that bad.

Start researching hives aka urticaria and angioedema. I have been taking 10 mg Zyrtic am and pm but don't really know if it is doing anything. Ice is a good idea. You better check the side effects of ibuprofen as it might be the problem itself. I am looking into the side effects of the medication I am taking. I have read the ACE inhibitors can cause this problem as well. Suggestion: Get thee to a doctor.

Are you M or F? I am F over 55.

I read your posts with great interest as I've had a couple Dr's and my dentist look at the redness in my mouth over the past few months. It has just occurred to me that I got a new nightguard last year and gradually the swelling in my mouth has increased. I've always thought I had some new allergy (food), but I seemed to get a reaction no matter what I've eaten. This is not painful, just a little uncomfortable. When I look at it, pulling my bottom lip out to see it well, there is a patch of redness. I now think this is hives.
Today I called the Dentist to see if anyone has reported a reaction to their night guard. (no) Her excellent suggestion is to not wear the night guard for a week. Now, why didn't I think of that?
Also, I'm 46, peri-menopausal, and have had several unusual things occur with my body over the past 1.5 years.

I wonder if the combination of the night guard against the skin, followed by eating any number of certain foods will cause inflammation?

I have this same problem. I believe it is definitely an allergic reaction to the bite guard material. It has happened to me with two different bite guards. It's like a contact dermatitis.

I've had allergic symptoms in my mouth before from certain food allergies, so that's how I recognize it as allergic. I have not eaten any of the foods that I have reacted to in the past. I did a test where I stopped wearing the bite guard until my mouth cleared up, and then tried again. I got the same reaction after three days.

It's too bad, because I believe the bite guard is helping me--I clench my teeth at night--but the allergic reaction just won't do.

:-S I have a similar problem resulting from my nightguard and I think that I understand what is happening with me. It appears to be an oral thrush or yeast infection associated with not keeping the guard super clean. That susceptibility to the infection will be dependent on foods that you eat and general oral health. If I am binging on fruits or acids (put cider in my tea to prevent gout flareups), I can throw off the bacteria balance in my mouith. Suspending the guard for a week, drinking lots of water, brushing more often and eating yogurt seems to clear up the irritation and then the mouthguard, regardless of cleaning regimen, won't stir up a yeast infection and related irritation. I'm looking into a good means to clean the nightguard so that I am not giving unfair advantage to the yeast for the nightly bacteria and yeast battle. XD

Hello. I have a similar problem. In my case , i had a trauma in my upper lip when i used braces, it was a minimal lesion, didnt even cut, but since then my upper lip never ever reduced the sweling. i dont know what to do, iv already seen a plastic surgeon but he told me that´s nothing he can do. At now, im waiting to seer a dermathologist.
did u fix ur problem? how?
thank you

Hey dude, I have exactly the same problem as you... So far i discovered that I was doing a friction by my teeth toward the inside of my upper lip... So now I am using a nighguard, the swelling is much much better but never healed 100%... I think all this is stress related. Please reply to me and tell me after 5 years what is the situation, Thanks.

Hey man keep me posted about your condition !!! thanks

My dentist fitted me with an acrylic night guard for the lower teeth to prevent damage to my teeth from grinding at night. I tried it for 2 nights, but had to remove it because it was so uncomfortable. I waited a few days and then tried the night guard again. After 1 night my upper and lower lips were irritated and seemed a little swollen. By the 2nd night my lips were burning and definitely swollen and I had canker type sores in the corners of my lips. I saw the dentist the day after that. She thinks it is an allergic reaction to the acrylic. I agree. She said she has only seen one other person who was allergic to the acrylic. It has been ten days since the last time I tried the night guard. The majority of the swelling in my lips is gone, but they continue to peel. My tongue and the roof of my mouth is sore and there is a sore between the inside of my top lip and teeth. I eat fruit and yogurt on a daily basis, so I don't think thrush is the issue. Time will tell.

I have had 2 custom night guards made at a cost of over $1,000! I still get swelling and redness on inside of my lips. My dentist thinks I am allergic to a material in the night guards but there is such a combination of materials that he couldn't pinpoint the actual material. I can only wear it for a couple hours at a time…my lips get worse and worse as the day goes on. I only use it every few months…if I really need it. I would really like a solution to this problem so I can wear it.

I have just been told by my dentist that NO ONE has ever had an allergic reaction to night mouth guards. All it took was half an hour browsing on google to find plenty of evidence for contact dermatitus acrylate allergies - esp. in dentistry. For those of you who are being told it's hives or your mouth guard is not clean - you are being put off by your dentist - probably because they may have to replace it for you.

It will be interesting to see how my dentist reacts - but I'm sure it won't be straight forward because I will have to identfy the acrylic material I have an allergy to. I've just paid $700 for a night guard that I can't use and I'm not going to accept that. Wish me luck!

what if the clenching is causing it ?

FYI~My lips swell up when I wear my night guard also. I'm sure I'm allergic to the material it's made from. It wss okay at first, but the material in the night guard started breaking down. I'm also concerned it may be toxic having it in my mouth swallowing poisen all night. My dentist is so difficult to deal with, I'll most likely just eat the cost $350 (no pun intended). Too bad and unfair because she make a lot more than I do. How did you make out with your dentist and night guard?

Have the very same problem going on. As soon as I stop wearing it I am fine then as soon as I wear it again...swelling and my lips almost seem to be blistered and so sore like the worst chapped lips ever in just one night :(

Yes me too. Exact same symptoms which got worse over time. Swollen, cracked, peeling lips, and swelling inside mouth, also made me lose my voice.