1. Load up on your carbs.

2. No proof that protein added to drinks increase performance.

3. Best way to get oxygen in your body is breathing, not oxygenated water.

4. A shot of caffeine in the morning helps, but additional shots later in the day have no additional effect.

Runner's World

pretty much what most of us have been saying for years.
notice it doesn't say that caffeine hurts anywhere.

Bicycling magazine (which is owned by the same company as RW) just ran a blurb about how a 4:1 carb:protein ratio in sports drinks was beneficial for cyclists.
/They also had a line about sniffing peppermint. :umno:

My mom's cycling club is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy into the protein recovery drinks (all of the brand names currently escape me). It is seeing my mom drink that thick pink stuff that it kind of freaks me out that my 62 year old mom is into all this stuff. :umno:
What is wrong with just good old fashioned eating after?? :shrug:

I perhaps should have clarified: 2. No proof that protein added to drinks increase runners' performance.

I perhaps should have clarified: 2. No proof that protein added to drinks increase runners' performance. Are we talking during or post-exercise? I've seen that for post-exercise, the 4:1 ration is optimal for recovery. But during exertion, protein may not increase performance unless you're doing sessions greater than 3 or 4 hours. I'll try and see if I can find any reference other than what's on the Hammer Nutrition website.

4:1 is optimal for recovery. All the new science says that protein added to drinks during exercise only makes it harder to digest the carbs.

Sheldon

I add a scoop of protein (Designer) to 16 ounces of Cytomax. I have been doing that for yours. My younger brother the pharmacist got us going with that combination

Running long and fast tear down the muscles. They need protein afterward for sure to rebuild them as do cyclists. Protein during running is another matter. Ultra runners incorporate a 4:1 and experts claim it should be 16:1 of protein and small amounts of fat with BCAA's.

RW is referring to protein in your carbs "while" your running and not a recovery drink.