We've got a dry heat room (I think) and an obviously steamy heat room at the Y in the locker rooms. What is the point of going into one of those rooms. Why sweat without exercise? Am I missing something?

SAUNAS
Saunas offer a variety of beneficial effects to the user . Saunas induce perspiration which helps in ridding the body of toxins . Saunas also increase circulation and raise body temperature which helps the body fight aches and pains . Studies also show that help to relieve muscle tension . For athletes , the relief of muscle tension leads to quicker recovery between workouts . This also results in a feeling of emotional and physical well-being . The heat of a sauna has been shown to speed up the disposal of by-products that are produced during exercise . During long bouts of exercise , the body may break down tissue protein to use for energy . This increases the body s level of nitrogen . Nitrogen is usually removed from the blood by the kidneys then expelled in the urine . With the help of a sauna , nitrogen is also released through the skin . The use of a sauna can help speed up recovery by assisting the kidneys with ridding the body of nitrogen . Research has also shown that saunas can have benefits to the cardiovascular system . In addition to this , saunas help prepare the body for hot weather by exposing the body to the humid heat produced by a sauna . The body s coolant system becomes adapted to these high heat levels . This could be very beneficial to athletes who compete in hot weather . By using the sauna on a regular basis , the body will be able to withstand the hot weather outside without a problem . Saunas are not recommended for effective weight loss . You will probably lose weight while in a sauna , but this weight loss will be due to a loss of water . The weight will come back immediately when you rehydrate yourself . Some conditions require you consult your physician before you enter a sauna . If you are pregnant , have high blood pressure or heart disease , you should consult with your physician before using a sauna . If you have the symptoms of any illness , delay your use of the sauna . The extreme heat produced by the sauna will cause stress to the body . When the body is ill it is already stressed enough . The sauna will only intensify the situation . Don t drink alcoholic beverages before you enter the sauna . This increases the chance of dehydration .

SAUNA TIPS
* Replenish fluids after session
* Allow sufficient time for greater benefits
* Begin with moderate heat , adjust the heat when necessary
* To begin , lie on the lowest shelves and work your way up as the session goes on
* Rest after getting out of sauna

Bob, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I did read a study done on some of the reasons the Finns have been great distance runners over the decades and one of many things they did were of course their culturally ingrained regular saunas. Part of the fatigue from running is the slow rise in core temperature. When a runner has regular sauna exposure, that rise is ever so much slower. Not major, but along with other training done by the Finns added to their success.

From a personal note, I grew up with the weekly sauna and now with the fitness center, probably more often. All the reasons Bob points out are right on. Being a Finn, it's in my blood, so my advice is Sauna On!

Hmmmm...this is all very interesting. I tend to avoid the sauna and dry heat rooms because I can't stand hot climates in general, and my performance in summer always sucks. Maybe I should rethink this philosophy.....it may be my only shot at ever doing a fall marathon (which I avoid knowing I have to do 22 milers in the summer humidity).

Anyone read anything about the effects of saunas on asthma? Mine is atypical and tends to worsen in thick, humid air as opposed to Kristin's, which acts up more in the cold air.

Alright, I hit the dry heat room last night after my run at the Y. Went in for 5 minutes max. Sweating like a pig withig the first minute. How long is the recommended time in one of those things? 2 minutes? 20 minutes? 1 hr.?

I think it is only 10-20 minutes. Which is enough for me.

Alright, I hit the sauna (dry heat) today for 10 minutes right after swimming 2200M. I didn't swim hard, just slow easy distance.

I was sweating like a PIG* when I was in there. There were two other guys in there with me and they were barely sweating at all. What's up with that? The therometer on the wall said that it was 175°F in the room. Is that an accurate number for one of those rooms?

*Sweat was pooling up around me and running across the floor and in between the slats of the flooring. Not just a drip-drip here and there, but full-on sweating. I'm talking profuse sweating. Overall I felt fine, just hot and sweaty.

Well some people just sweat more then others and athletes start sweating sooner because the body is used to gearing up for exercise and regulating body temp.

I'm the same as you. I could lose 5 pounds in 10 minutes.

I did lose about 1.5 lbs. in the sauna. I weighed myself right before and right after just out of curiosity.

You didn't lose fat or calories, that will come after the fact from the furnace of the metabolism. You lost water weight. Make sure to replenish with sodium water like Gater Age (Gatorade).

ick. makes me not evah want to go into one of those. :umno:

Also i like the saunas as a place to do post workout stretching, the muscles stay nice and supple allowing a much better stretch. it is better to do this with no ne else in it though i admit plus i tend to still wear my shorts into the sauna ( i be shy ) after that take a cold shower. not due to the excitemtn from all the nudity in the sauna but this helps contract the muscles and "sqeezing" more toxins out into the blood stream and helps reduce inflamation, thus also improving recovery.

I hope you weren't sitting in a puddle of another guys butt sweat. :umno:

Visual Rejected!!!

Infrared heat therapy has been shown to improve small blood vessels, facilitating the flow of oxygenated blood cells, making it a preferred alternative for drugs against migraine.