Please tell me something about running with asthma problems. My son wants to start running and he has asthma. He sometimes uses the inhaler to ameliorate his fits. I don’t know whether to allow him to take up running or to explain him that it wouldn’t be so good for him. Is running with asthma possible and healthy? Thanks for your answers.

There are various kinds of asthma and I think that the most important thing is to consult your son’s doctor before making any decision. I think that it’s possible to run with asthma but there are certain things that you should take care of. For example, he should be under a constant supervision and in case he doesn’t feel well, he should immediately stop running. He should avoid running when it’s too hot, cold or humid because that can aggravate his condition. And of course, he has to carry the inhaler all the time. You son’s diet must be healthy and I think there are certain kinds of food that can irritate respiratory tract, so they should be avoided.

When you are asleep, the airways will get narrowed and this may lead to increase in resistance to airflow. This is the main reason for night time coughing, and can lead to more tightening of airways. Also, if there is increased drainage from the sinuses, the condition can also trigger asthma in airways (highly sensitive). Sinusitis and asthma can be interlinked together in some cases.