I must say I’m confused. I’m a linguist and I didn’t have the vaguest idea that there is some kind of difference between running and jogging. Both refer to running, but apparently there is something that I don’t know. Can you tell me what the difference between these two sports is? I reckoned that maybe running is a more formal name.

Basically, I also think there’s not a big difference. I would also agree that running is a more formal name and I think it’s the official name of the sport. Another point may be that jogging is an amateur and recreational activity and running is more like a serious sport. But, I remember that I’ve read an article which says that running should be faster. So, according to that article, if you want to be called a runner you need to run 5kmph faster than if you’re just an “ordinary” jogger. I think they’re just hair splitting. I don’t care if they call me a runner or jogger. I like running and I think it’s a great sport no matter how they call it.