Is it wise to run if you have thyroid problems? My husband has hyperthyroidism and he wants to start running. I’m a bit concerned because it’s an exhausting activity and I don’t know if it can have some bad effects on his already damaged health. Can you tell me how he should behave? I think it’s best for him not to take up this sport.

Er, I don’t know what to advise you. Hyperthyroidism manifests itself among other things, thorough fatigue and weight loss. This actually means that a person suffering from it has a very fast metabolism and that body consumes all energy without major efforts. According to that I think it’s very difficult to practice running since it’s one of the most demanding and exhausting activities. But since I suppose that he’s taking medications to ameliorate this disorder, I believe it’s possible to train under the supervision of a fitness instructor. He should consult his doctor and ask if it’s ok for him to run and how many times a week. After that, he can make a training schedule and stick to it. Regular medical check-ups are necessary.