I used to only get a pimple here in there, but never anything that I would really care much about. However now I seem to be having pretty bad acne and most of it is on just the one side of my face. There is also alot around my jawline too. It's been like this for a while now, and I can't ever seem to get rid of it, or when I do it comes back. I have tried all kinds of cleansers..including: proactive, ones from department stores such as clinique, ones from wal-mart. All sorts of stuff but nothing seems to work and some of them even seemed to make it worse at one point. I am stuck and I don't know what else to try. If anyone has any ideas please share.

thank you

First and foremost--the best thing to do is try sleeping on your back. I know it sounds stupid, but avoid touching your face and sleep on your back. Second, get a gentle cleanser like Purpose soap. It is perfect for your skin and it should help you get your skin clean. Next thing to do is get something with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide by Neutrogena. Put it anywhere you have acne problems. A lot. Use more than you think you should. It helps a lot. Then for hydrating your skin, use Cetaphil lotion. You really shouldn't have to do this more than once or twice a day but you will see a MAJOR change. What do you think?

Use a mild soap for sensitive skin but it doesn't matter exactly what type of soap you use. It can be designed for acne-prone skin or not, but you will want to treat your skin gently. Harsh antibacterial soap may actually make your acne worse by irritating skin.
You need to try to get rid of dead skin cells by exfoliating.
Use a gentle scrub with natural defoliants like ground walnut shells, or use an over-the-counter chemical defoliant like salicylic acid or glycolic acid. Use a thick moisturizer like cocoa butter can be effective too.
A simple natural home remedy for this is to use the skin inside of an egg shell. Google "dermabrasion with eggs". I know that one sounds a bit gross but it does actually make a difference if you try it.
Bacteria in pores is one cause of spots. Reduce the amount of bacteria by using toners containing anti-bacterial agents like alcohol, peroxide and benzalkonium chloride, and by using creams that contain benzoyl peroxide (ask your doctor about benzaclin, with moisturizer if you have dry skin, as it works better than just plain benzoyl because benzoyl takes up to 8 weeks before improvement is seen) which kill bacteria as well as cause the skin to regenerate faster.

J1234 wrote:

thank you

Hi there, have you been able to enact some of the suggestions people on the thread have offered for you? IS it working or is it not? Let me know becuase I'd like to see how it's going. Thanks!

healthnfitnessguy-

I have tried what you suggested; the Purpose soap, Neutrogena 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, and Cetaphil lotion. Today is my 3rd day. I haven't really seen that much improvement actually. On one side of my face the acne is all clustered together and still looks awful to me. Hopefully after continuing to use everything it will improve.

Thanks!

J1234 wrote:

healthnfitnessguy-

Thanks!

It takes some time. You also really have to glob the BP on. I remember I used to use so much that I thought I was going to go through a container in a week. Once you get it going you can scale back and use less. But at first using more can help. Have you seen any improvement at all?

<wet your face with warm water, and take a warm wash cloth and just wipe your face with a little pressure, not too much _but some.
<you need to get a cleanser with 10% benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, i'd recommend continuous clean by clean & clear. using your fingertips, working them in circular motions, massage it for about a minute. and then rinse really well. pat dry
<you need a spot cream with 10% BP. right after u wash ur face and pat dry (don't wait too long or your pores will close up), apply it to any problem areas
<if your skin is really oily or you just feel like it needs to be refreshed _you can wipe your face with a cotton ball saturated in witch hazel (WH is GREAT for your skin, you can find a bottle at a drug store, it looks like alcohol. immediately you will see a reduction in inflammation). or even better, i found some facial wipes with witch hazel, aloe, and chamiolle, and lavender _it soothes so well! and it feels great on ur skin.

imluvinme2 wrote:

My understanding is that if you use 10% BP or SA that it can be too harsh for your skin. Have you heard that at all? I have definitely found it to be true. What do you think?

This is the most dreaded disease i have and suffering from this for last 20 years, still unable to find a good remedy.

J1234 wrote:

healthnfitnessguy-

Thanks!

Hi there, I hate to bug you but have you seen any improvement? It's been almost two weeks since you started so hopefully you're starting to see results. Let me know, okay?

It seems to be getting a little better in some areas, but on the side of my neck, like a litle below my jaw, it seems to be pretty much the same, maybe even a little more. I think it's so strange I have never had any acne on my neck like that and I don't understand why now. I do cleanse there like my face with all of the products you suggested -healthnfitnessguy-
I have also started using witch hazel as someone else suggested.

J1234 wrote:

Let me put forth a guess as to why that acne has not gotten better. I have very sensitive skin and I have to be careful. I get acne when I sleep on my stomach because my face rubs the pillow, but I don't when I'm on my back. Does that make sense? The more you rub your face, the more likely it is that you'll get acne in those spots. I suspect you're sleeping on your side and that's causing acne. Are you?

well i used to, but since you first said something i haven't been. I even sometimes lie on the side thats not broken out bad and it's still pretty much the same. I was thinking about maybe even going to a dermatologist, but i don't have insurance so i know it couldd get costy. Do you think it would help going to a dermatologist?

J1234 wrote:

I honestly don't think that a dermatologist would be able to help you out anymore than benzoyl peroxide would. I was on Proactiv and Retin-A for awhile. Retin-A DESTROYED my skin so I had no acne by my skin was always so dry and it was super expensive. I'd say give it a week to see how things go and then consider going to the derm if it's not getting better. How is it going for you? I've noticed I've had a couple outbreaks lately due to the hot weather...