Hi, I have acne on cheeks and forehead. I use Benzoyl Peroxide regularly to keep my face clear free from bacteria. Three days ago I discovered that I’m pregnant, and I’m not sure if I can still use Benzoyl Peroxide. Can anybody help me with this?

Hi, I have been using benzoyl peroxide for many years even during pregnancy. It is safe for use since it is applied topically and has antiseptic properties. It reduces the number of skin surface bacteria without developing resistance, since it is not an antibiotic. It can also been used in cases of already developed resistance. Benzoyl Peroxid is an oxidizing agent, acting keratolytic and comedolytic, by reduceing the number of comedones. By it’s characteristics it provides anti-inflammatory action. There are cream, gel, lotion and wash available at concentrations of 2.5 %, 5 % and 10 %.