My daughter is 17 and has been dealing with acne since she was about 14 now. Rather than improving, her acne is getting worse and she is very interested in more potent treatment options than the over the counter products she has been using thus far. She'd like to go on Accutane, but I don't think that is a good idea. I have heard about Benzoyl Peroxide and Hydrogen Peroxide as acne treatment options, so I was hoping that somebody here has experience both with how to use these, whether they work, and information about how safe they are. 

Thanks a lot.

Benzoyl peroxide is quite an effective acne treatment.

It works by unclogging the pores and halting bacterial growth, which is responsible for acne. Before things get better, they may get worse for a while and this is something users have to be aware of. It can also cause dry skin, peeling, and a feeling of tightness and even tingling. In about four weeks things should start to get better.

You can get different strengths of benzoyl peroxide on the market, from 2.5 percent to I think 10 percent? Anyway, it is always good to start with the mildest strength, let the skin adjust and then move up if you need to.

I had never, ever heard of people using hydrogen peroxide, which as far as I was aware was just used for disinfection and for dying your hair, for acne. So in the hope to avoid saying something stupid and embarrassing myself here, I did actually look that up. Turns out, some people do use hydrogen peroxide for acne. Don't know nothing about that, mind you. But yeah, benzoyl peroxide you can find in all kindsa products and there's quite a good chance that your daughter has actually been using something with it already. Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Vanishing Treatment Cream got it too, for instance. So check that out. The trick here's to do a trial run by using it every other day in low strength to see how the skin reactions, 'cause some people find benzoyl peroxide to be very drying as well. 

The good thing about benzoyl peroxide is that it treats different blemishes successfully, from acne to blackheads and whiteheads. That is because it is antibacterial and so kills the culprit of all these things. So it works well for many people. But it can also dry and irritate the skin in some. It is a kind of bleach so the bad thing is that it can stain your clothes if you are not too careful about avoiding contact. That's important to know beforehand if you don't want to ruin your favorite clothes!!!

After four months of using benzoyl peroxide now, I can say that it works!!! I have tried out numerous other acne treatments, not a surprise because I have actually had acne for over 15 years, well into adulthood. It becomes very frustrating when treatment after treatment does not work, so I wanted to use this for a good while before posting optimistic reviews anywhere as well, but after four months I think I can now safely say that benzoyl peroxide worked where salicylic acid, birth control pills, etc, didn't do anything.

You may want to Google benzoyl peroxide and green tea. There are those who firmly believe that bacteria do not play as great a role in acne formation as is currently believed, and that not many bacteria are involved even at the stage of clogged pores. These people hold that using benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment is a good thing but that your skin can also grow so used to it that it comes to depend on the benzoyl peroxide. They follow BP up with green tea as an antioxidant to prevent this process. I don't know too much about this, but it is certainly worth looking into. BP can absolutely play a very positive role in acne treatment in any case.