I am scheduled to Have a septoplasty done this coming Friday, And I am having mixed feelings from reading all this.... But I know it needs to be done,... I know Everybody is different when it comes to healing, I am just trying to figure out whats the average time before people can start their daily routines again after this surgery....

I am going to qualify myself by saying I have not been able to breath like a “normal” person for my entire life (I Am 49 years old). I get five or six sinus infections a year. I have to take antibiotics used for the most severe infections, because nothing else will work anymore. I have tried everything to be able to breathe…and nothing has worked. No prescriptions, no steroid sprays, no home remedies. I was addicted…yes addicted to Afrin for over twenty years. Some of you are nodding; I am not the only one (Costco sells Afrin). I also have severe Sleep Apnea, which is what got me to my surgery date (sleep study doctor sent met to an ENT). He recommended surgery …septoplasty and deviated septum; he was also completely freaked out about the whole twenty years on Afrin thing. I had my surgery two weeks ago today. Yes, I have been miserable. Yes, it hurt and yes I have wondered why I listened to my doctors and had these procedures. But, guess what? I can breath most of the time (no Afrin)…the nights are difficult. Do exactly what your doctor says; if you did your homework then you knew what you were getting into. The recovery is slow, and sometimes disgusting. My pain feels like a bad sinus infection most of the time. I can’t seem to get used to the numbness in my gums. I am surprised no one has mentioned the numbness or the pressure on the roof of the mouth. I have problems with noise and bright lights. My wife tells me that I am irritable in the evenings. I feel tired at the end of my days…that is getting less each day. Use the saline sprays all the time…the more the better. I go back to my doctor on Monday, it is my forth visit since my surgery. I haven’t decided if he is a concerned doctor or just likes billing my insurance company. I will assume the former. He has been great and has told me exactly what to expect. I know that the tenderness in the nose will leave and that the odds are in our favor that these procedures will be a success. I am sure I will look back on this little piece of my life as being a good thing someday. I am sure it will be a small thing like coming home a smelling something wonderful in the air. I am hoping that food doesn’t taste better now…that could be a real problem! I might go sit in a new car just to see what the “new car smell” thing is all about! Happy Healing!!!!!