hi, all my life(21 now) i have experienced nasal congestion aka stuffy nose ONLY at night and when laying down. I seem to be fine during the day standing up and out and about, but when lay down it congests really fast and feel like im suffocating, also if i am in a long car ride in the back seat( same thing happens and feel like im suffocating).  The stuffiness switches nostrils and is just very hard to go to sleep with a stuffy nose every day . I know it is not allergies to dust mites because it happens to me everywhere. hotels, friends house etc. I have tried flonase for about 1 1/2 month to 2 month with no success. i have also tried sudafed with no success. i have tried neti pot with very little success(inlcuding saline nasal sprays). I have tried steam inhalations, humidifeer aswell , breathe right strips with little success when they want to stick on. The only thing that seems to work is Afrin and clears it right up! What can this be?

forgot to add the stuffiness switches sides depending on what sides i lay on( stuffy on bottom side ) changes sides when i switch sides

I have the same problem. Very rarely can I breathe out of both nostrils at the same time. Typically, one side is 90 to 100% blocked and the other is mostly open. This condition will alternate nostrils throughout the day. When I lay to sleep the side closest to the pillow will become 100% blocked and the high side will be mostly open. This is an annoying condition and frequently makes it difficult for me to fall asleep because I feel like I'm working too hard to breathe. I have tried nasal steroid sprays, antihistamine sprays, nasal flushing with saline solution, allergy shots etc.. The only thing that helps is a nasal decongestant like afrin. Swollen nasal turbinates and a moderately deviated septum are the most likely cause of my symptoms. I'm reluctant to have turbinate surgery due to the fact that some people have suffered from ENS after turbinate procedures. I'd due the septum procedure, septoplasty, if I knew it would resolve the issue but dr seems uncertain if that alone will correct my issue. I hope you find an answer to your situation . JOHN