I am a male in my middle 30's with scheuermann's disease. It is causing such severe back pain I am unable to have a normal life. My disc's were triangles when I was 13, but my hump is much larger now. I can't work play with my kids, or play sports. My chest looks like it is caved in. Has anyone got SS disability for this? What meds work? I'm just on nsaids, but I can't live with the pain anymore. I can't even sleep. I really don't want to have back surgery.  

Hi I too am also a male arond same age im 28 to be exact, i was diagnosed with scheuermanns later though but had problems during high school hard getting out of bed, still have that problem pain is excruciating in the morning, i crack my back all the time twisting and bending side to side it cracks 20 times a day id say, seems to help me somewhat, i have found that HOT HOT SHOWER on the back is the best thing for me, i have scheuermanns in the thoracic spine region, pains always there, i know how you feel with the sever pain i get pain all the way into my chest to the point it gets ya to wander if your having heart problems or attack or soemthing. not to mention other problems associated with night games should you say that i think have a role with the scheuermanns disease messing with nerves etc. I wish i knew what was the ultimate pain reliever but for me  i use mostly (2)ALEVE EVERY 3-4 HRS or Super Hot shower paying most attention to mid back. so it costs a lil bit or drains the hot water heater for 30-45 minute showers but let me tell you it helps, its hard to work cause the pain is sometimes overwhelming, also had peircing pains in my shoulders just carrying a 5 gallon bucket of water, had to drop cu i couldnt carry it, i use heated seats when possible.

hope this helps I think we can both relate F***** scheuermanns disease  sucks

Hi, I also have Scheuermann's Disease, was only diagnosed in January and have not been able to work since. My life has completely been changed since Diagnosis. The exercises and pain medication I am on do not work. I can not do the things I could do before. I dont know when I will be able to return to working life. My hump is worse now than before diagnosis. My doctor is reluctant to do alot about it for me. I have created a page on Facebook for myself and others with this condition, I speak to some people almost everyday. Look for me on facebook - Scheuermanns Disease Help.

Hi, I too have SD and yes it does suck. I noticed you said your back cracks daily. So does mine, I thought I had a fracture or something simular. Im a female with the condition. I currently dont work simply because I cant. I cant carry alot at a time. my life has changed in so many ways, I have created a facebook page called
Scheuermanns Disease Help - Look for me. I talk to people everyday about different things, we try to work together and discuss pain management, new exercises etc. I know exactly how you feel, I went shopping just yesterday and couldnt put a 5kg bag into my shopping cart.

I see this is an older post but I wanted to reply just in case you might still receive it. My daughter is 12 and was just diagnosed with this and we found a natural way to reverse the Scheuermanns Disease and its affects. I realize yours is set in but it will still work and take away your pain too. Buy the Raindrop Treatment Oils it comes with DVD on how to apply them properly, also get BF&C cream and rub down your spine everyday. I promise you will get results! You can contact me if you have any questions I can also give you references about this treatment. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

My daughter is 18 and was just diagnosed. We didn't know she had it until she was in a bad rollover accident. I don't know what to do!!

I found that medical marijuana helps with the pain I know some states won't allow it but I'm 24 years old I got diagnosed when I was 23 I knew I had something wrong with my back when I was young I did things different for example sports always had a problem squatting doing back workout and such, I had a hard time with my cheats too, one night I was about to drink some water and what I felt was a like water went down the wrong tube and I wanted to die that's how bad it was, I stay up wondering if I was the only one who felt this pain, how someone could go threw this and still come out with a crooked smile, I say crooked cause we can only hide the pain so much to go on with what we need to do. Medical marijuana helps me get over my fear of getting hurt again from having my lovely gf pick me up every time I can't do things, from having that thought of doubt of the next back spazzem or bad pain, I'm not a druggy I just want to have the HOPE of being able to go back out in the world and take what life throws at me one day at a time

Chest*** not cheats

I'm 21 and have early Schumann's disease I only found out after I got hurt playing rugby which required me to take an x-ray. I've found that sleeping without a pillow helps alot over time. Also I do regular squatting exercise(no weights) it helps stretch out the spine according to my chiropractor it's helped alot. If you have difficulty squatting I'd recommend holding onto a chair that's how I started. Hope this helps someone

* I was diagnosed when I was 16 at the time the doctor said it would get worse but it definately hasn't. I still feel the pain at times but with the constant stretching there are times that my back doesn't hurt at all

That's great! Keep doing what you are doing and manage it best you.can. there is certainly no magic cure, only those willing to be creative and find what works for them to manage and maintain. Exercise and massage are a great help to keep the nerve pain under control.