Hello. I'm 35 year old male and I would like to find some useful information about Scheuermann's Disease treatment options.
Few years back I was diagnosed with this terrible and unpleasant disease which has caused me to have a deformity in my back and also a lot of pain and social disorders.
All this time I'm taking several pain killers and I'm afraid I rely too much on them and that I could develop some kind of addiction.
So, I would like to know can some chiropractor help me to relieve my symptoms. If someone knows more about this fell free to write about this and also maybe some other possible treatment options!

Hello. Long time ago my brother has been diagnosed with this terrible disease and I will tell you his story.
You probably know that Scheuermann's disease affects the growth of the vertebrae in the thoracic spine mainly so that the anterior or front part of the vertebral bones and discs are reduced in height.
Like you, he also started with pain killers and soon after he realized that it isn’t a permanent solution.
Then he started to visit some chiropractors. I remember he was telling me that in that period the pain was significantly reduced and mobility of back increased. So, the answer on your question is-Yes, chiropractor can help but the only permanent solution is operation!
The surgery involves 2 operations- procedure to lengthen and straighten the spine anteriorly and procedure to shorten and straighten the spine posteriorly.

if you still watch this site please respond!

I just came across your sta

tement while looking for info on s.disease. I ,too am a 35 yr. old male that has been diagnosed with this condition. it has been about 3yrs. since i was told that i have scheuermanns disease. at that time i was working in an automotive assembly plant, doing production work on an assembly line,you can imagine how brutal this was. i continued this work until 10/2006. during these 3yrs. i was continuously missing work,taking pain meds, going back and forth between regular dr., specialist, and whoever else they can think of to send me. to this date i haven't found anything that helps the pain except pain killers which i became severly addicted to.So,now i have finally quit taking pain meds, quit seeing the dr.'s and haven't worked for about 6 months. i deal with this pain (which i believe has led to depression) on a daily basis. anything you have learned about s. disease or treatments,therapy or anything that helps would greatly be appreciated. feel free to email me @******".

**edited by moderator**no emails allowed**

Hi. I know this post is rather old, but I will still leave my thoughts. I suffered with tremendous pain from Scheuermann's Disease. Mine manifested itself in the lower thoracic region and lumbar region of the spine. I wore a spinal brace in order to prevent kyphosis of the spine (hunchback) from the time I was 11 yrs old for about 2+ years while I was going through a significant growth spurt. After the growth spurt I was told that the condition would be relatively self limiting and that I should be fine. Well I had muscle spasms blinding flashes of pain several times a day for over 10 years. I took pain meds, did exercises, went to physical therapy and eventually was told that my pain was from stress and that it was all in my head. What a Crock ! Anyway, long story short I went to a chiropractor in Japan and upon getting my first treatment (adjustment) , INSTANTLY 10 years of hell and suffering with excruciating PAIN was GONE. The diffierence for me was like night and day. I was so amazed by what had happened that I went back to school and became a chiropractor. A Pelvic & Sacral were the adjustments that were life changing for me but lumbar, thoracic , and cervical treatment were also utilized and part of the prescribed treatment, There are many different chiropractic techniques and some things seem to work well for some people and not as well for others. If one chiropractor doesnt seem to work then try some others. I would look for someone who does "full spine" adjusting and looking for a chiropractic doctor who is a Palmer Graduate might be a good bet also. Pierce technique and Thompson technique seem to work well for me. (Google Palmer College of Chiropractic - Call Alumni Development or the main switchboard for a referral to a "full Spine" doctor using Pierce or Thompson techniques in your area. Also note that the degree of deformity that you have may have bearing as to how well you will respond to chiropractic care and and may have bearing on how often you will need to be adjusted. Good luck !

Hi really good to read your post. My son is 19 years old and has this disease. He is in constant pain and on pain killers all the time which he says don't really help. I have been thinking of taking him to a chiropractor and reading this has helped me to make the decision to take him. He had to give up college because his attendance was so poor and doesn't do anything at the moment and can't even begin to think about it.

Hello there I have recently been diagnosed with this disease and after reading your post I have made a appointment, to see a chiropractior. I hope it goes well I'm finding this very depressing.

Scheuermann's Disease treatment often causes back pain. Treatment from a chiropractor is the best way to get relief from back pain.