i am a 31 year old female not pregnant and have had no children. my nipples become extremely painful in the winter time especially when ive been outside for at least 15 minutes. i have tried to (pad) my bra to cover the nipple with tissues, bandaids and other cloths. i even wear multiple layers of clothing uotside to keep the cold away. this has also happened at other times of the year but mostly in winter. what can i do to stop the pain. it feels worse than piercings and i dont have piercings there.

I have the same problem!! I have no idea what causes it though...

i have the same problem my doc said it was hyprolactamenia

I have the same problem with cold and painful nipples! I don't yet have an answer, but I'm interested to know what this hyprolactamenia might be. Are you sure that's the word for it? When I typed it into google, I got back "hyperlactaemia", although I can't find anything but graduate school-style papers about it; no clear definitions of what it is.

I'm 29 with no children, and I also have severe nipple pain with cold weather. As a matter of fact, it's been so bad lately that it's woken me up at night. I have no idea what causes this, but I'm very interested in finding out what causes it and what can be done for it. If I find anything out I'll let you guys know.

I have the same problems with my nipple. I am 31 years old with no children and I suffer the worst pain in my nipples. It got so bad that I went to the doctor so far I have been refer. to another doctor. At times the pain is so unbearable to stay awake so most of the time I take pain killers or sleep aid to not have to deal with it. As soon as I hear something I will let you guys know.

I am 36 years old and I also suffer from severe nipple pain when they get cold and the very tip of the nipple gets bright white. I have no idea what is causing this as I have no children and the only person I breast feed is my husband. Tee hee XD Just joking, I have to keep my sence of humor as this is truly driving me mad. I have been to two different doctors who say they have never heard of this and give me that strange look like I am crazy. I know this is not in my imagination and simply dressing warmer or padding around the nipples doesn't always work. The pain can actually bring me to tears, anyone else?

Sincerely,
Jennifer from Canada

I'm 30 years old with no kids, and i too suffer from this pain its normally only in my right nipple.
I don't know what cause's the pain but I can be in the house, warm and well dresses and it is still very cold and sore and a funny colour - a warm bath takes it a way for a wee while.
I too would like to know why this happens ?

I am a registered nurse who works in the area of ob/gyn and did numerous years teaching breastfeeding and breast/ nipple care. Some of the symptoms you are all describing can be related to a disease called Raynaud's phenomenon. It mostly affects people's extremities (hands, feet) but has been know to affect nipples. The symptoms include severe constriction of the blood vessels causing the nipple to turn white or purple and causes severe pain. Treatment is limited to the symptoms as the medical community doesn't have a cure. Warm compresses, warm clothing (vests, layers etc) can be used to help. It is fairly rare although I have seen it in my practice twice as a health care professional.
Hope this info might help you and your doctors find something that works to help you.

I agree with the above- I have Raynaud's- for me it only occurs when I am pregnant or nursing but it causes severe pain in the nipples. I have never had symptoms in the hands or feet. If you note the nipple turning bluish or white (blanching of the nipples) it is most likely Raynaud's. YOu may have a hard time finding a doctor who is familiar with this as it is not well known. There is a treatment- it is Procardia XL 30 mg. daily= a blood pressure medicine which helps with the vasoconstriction present. If your gyn does not take this seriously, find one who does- or seek the opinion of a cardiologist. It occurs most commonly in fair skinned, blue eyed, blonde women- but can be present in anyone. Both of my sisters have this problem as well. Good luck getting treatment- it is the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced, far worse than labor.

Hello
I have the same problem and believe it is Raynaud's phenomenon.

I told my Dr about geting cold fingers and he said he would do a blood test for Raynaud's phenomenon.

I had forgotten that when I go out in a cold place even though I have lots of clothes on my nipples get so cold its extremely painful. So even though I was dressed warmly my nipples would become very sore

When I tried to breast feed my children it was so bad I couldnt continue so now I believe I have Raynaud's phenomenon and didnt know it

Sally

Ok, this happened to me for the first time today in the grocery store. The produce and frozen foods were so cold that I was almost shivering and then I noticed this aching/burning in both nipples that got worse and worse to the point where I almost left the full basket of groceries just to get outside in the warmth. Even after getting back outside it took a good 5 minutes before the pain subsided.

I just started taking a medication that has a side effect of cold extremeties. I also had blood work done that indicated I had high triglycerides (part of the cholesterol measurement). My doctor just told me 3 days ago that I needed to take Omega 3 supplements - the fish oil supplements. How this is all tying together:

When I searched the internet for "cold nipple pain" I came across Nipple Vasospasm which happens for these types of people:
- Women with a family history of Raynaud's phenomenon
- Women who tend to have cold fingers or feet or have "poor circulation"
- Women with a low body mass index (i.e. thin people).

Well, I only qualify for the middle one mainly because of the new medication. I kept reading and it said some supplements might help:

fish oil capsules (containing essential fatty acids) or evening primrose oil (gamma linoleic) may improve blood vessel relaxation

magnesium tablets help to relax the blood vessels. You may take Blackmore's Biomagnesium 1 - 2 tablets daily (each tablet is equivalent to 300mg magnesium)

Hmmm...makes me think maybe taking a fish oil supplement could make a difference! For all you sufferers out there- maybe try an omega 3 fish oil supplement (make sure you get the 'burpless' kind) and a magnesium supplement! It couldn't hurt and may be the answer. I will try to remember to post my results - 'cuz I am going to try it!

I am 36 and have had a hysterectomy 1 1/2 years ago. One child when I was 21. My breasts have not hurt this bad since I was pregnant. I have to cover them when I am in the shower. My nipples are particularly sensitive. What would cause this?

I am so excited. I know I have this Raynauds Phenomenon. It all matches up. I live in Minnesota, fair skinned, blonde hair and blue eyed, and a woman. Wow I never knew I could so perfectly fit. I'm 32 and have had this problem since I was 11 years old. I've seen gynocologists, dermotologists, went to the breast center just last week and had a mammogram trying to figure out what this is. Every doctor says yeah I'm not sure i've never heard of that before. and shrugs it off. I work doing construction and must work in all weather, including the hard winter days. this is so exciting. I've even tried to convince a doctor to give me a referral so I can have them removed, because my nipples hurt so badly. I can't even sleep i'm so excited to make a doctors appointment in the morning. Thank You sosososososo much

Hello all, just doing some research and seems i may have the same problem. Only thing is it's the first time this has happened and im a bit worried too! Im living in italy and just got my doctor, and haven't yet made an appointment to talk about this as this is going on a week or so. But i have noticed something else... my face is quiet dry too in fact the coners of my lips a chapped and red,sound weird? But before i go to a doctor i want to do research. I've read about pregnancy,discharge... but thats not whats going on it's around the nipple and around the nipple that is sore and its opened up it burns when it touches the bra.... sound familular?