Hi, I am a bit confused. My friend enjoys having milk and dairy products. After having some problems with his health, he visits doctor on regular bases. Beside the problems he was complaining, he was also diagnosed with lactose intolerance. What confuses me is that his condition was graded as secondary lactose intolerance. As far as I know, he should not have milk or dairy products, but what is going on with secondary lactose intolerance?

Hi, lactose intolerance is a common condition. Normally, our organism creates enzyme called lactase. It unbinds milk sugar into sugars that can be digested and turned into energy. When this enzyme is not produced sufficiently, lactose intolerance occurs. There are several reasons that can produce this state. The most important one for your friend is medicines. Studies have shown that certain medicines can affect our organism this way. Lactose intolerance produced by the use of some drugs is called secondary lactose intolerance. That is why doctors, when suspecting that lactose intolerance is present, always ask if the patient is or has been taking some medicine lately. Basically, the same symptoms are present in all types of lactose intolerance. They all have the same treating method-taking smaller amounts of milk and dairy products. Future tests will show the next step in therapy.