Hi, I have some problems. Some time ago I started having gases on a regular base. At first I thought I had an ulcer. Sometimes I also had stomach ache and diarrhea as well. These two conditions persuaded me to believe that ulcer is what I am experiencing. After seeing a doctor, I was diagnosed with something else. The test that he performed showed that I am lactose intolerant. Another appointment was scheduled but I am eager to now: what can I eat now that no milk is allowed?

Hi, lactose is a sugar found in milk and other dairy products. When you have lactose intolerance it means that you are not producing lactase. This is an enzyme needed for metabolization of lactose. If there is no enzyme, lactose cannot be dissolved and can cause problems you have described. This condition, also known as hypolactasia, does not mean that you have to cast up milk and dairy products out of your life. You only need to have limits in taking them. A person suffering from it can drink up to two hundred and fifty milliliters of milk per day. However, it is important to know the degree of your lactose intolerance. That is why you must see your doctor as he told you in order to get all the necessary information about this condition. Until your second appointment, you should try not to have dairy products. When your doctor evaluates your condition more precisely he will talk to you about necessary changes you will have to make.