Hi, I am just curious. Recently I met a person who, as he says, suffers from lactose intolerance. He also mentioned something about this condition. As far as I know, people with this kind of illness have to be careful about their nutrition. I am wondering if people with lactose intolerance also have their weight affected by this illness.

Hi, lactose intolerance is a very common illness. It acts as inability of our organism to digest milk sugar into energy. This happens because enzyme lactase, responsible for the process of milk sugar digestion, is not produced in needed quantities. There are, like in other illnesses, symptoms that point to lactose intolerance. They could be: diarrhea, gases and, most important for your question, weight loss. So you see, people that suffer from lactose intolerance can get their weight affected. However, lactose intolerance can be controlled. Usually, smaller amounts of milk and dairy products taken will do the job. But there are also severe cases of lactose intolerance. In this case total termination of milk and dairy products from nutrition is needed. The people that have this kind of problem usually have significant weight loss.