I have read in one article that lactose intolerance is the inability to digest significant amounts of lactose, the predominant sugar of milk. They wrote this inability results from a shortage of the enzyme lactase. This enzyme lactase should be normally produced by the cells that line the small intestine. Although I know all this, I do not know the main problem with lactose intolerance. Can you tell me core of this problem or something that might help me understand it.

Lactase breaks down milk sugar into simpler forms that can then be absorbed into the bloodstream from the small intestine. When there is not enough lactase to digest the amount of lactose consumed, the results may be very distressing. However, not all persons deficient in lactase have symptoms. Those patients who do have symptoms are considered as lactose intolerant. Common symptoms of lactose intolerance include nausea, cramps, bloating, gas, and diarrhea. Those symptoms usually begin about 30 minutes to 2 hours after eating or drinking foods containing lactose. The severity of symptoms varies depending on the amount of lactose each person can tolerate.
Some causes of lactose intolerance are well known, such as certain digestive diseases and injuries to the small intestine. In rare cases, children are born without the ability to produce lactase, but for most people, lactase deficiency is a condition that develops naturally over time. After about the age of 2 years, the body begins to produce less lactase, which is common situation in lactose intolerant patients.