how long is recovery time for hammertoe surgery and are you in a cast?How long before you can return to work

I am 22 years old and had hammertoe surgery 3 weeks ago. After the 1st week I was able to walk with the surgical shoe with no problem. On the 4th week the pins get removed and then you can wear sneakers. An old pair is better.

I have hammer toe on both my pinky toes, i am still a teen, i am wondering if they would do the surgery on me because my feet are still growing.

NO WAIT! I had claw toe surgery on my left foot, toes, 2, 3 and 4; my pinky toe was also frozen over, but, my ortho decided it may get better. After surgery I was monitored over night for pain control. Whoever tells you that ANY TYPE of injury to the foot will heal in no time and shouldn't hurt, is obviously uneducated. The feet have comparatively the most nerve endings in the entire body. Not to mention, they bear all your body weight, which makes the healing process longer.

It's been a year and 3 weeks to the day since my surgery and my toes are still sore, swollen, and now, very misshapen. I am able to wear boots in the winter with about a 2-1/2" heel. Dressy shoes, result in unbearable pain after about two hours, before I have to change into my comfy's. Note: platform heels work the best! The higher in the front, the better!

I just had postoperative surgery 7 days ago to correct the 5th digit, or baby toe, and was put under general anesthesia against my wishes. I was booted out of recovery in less than an hour, then literally wheeled to the curb, where my nurse left me. I had told her my ride would be a half and hour....anyway, that was the second ridiculous thing. I about an hour after I left the hospital, I started experiencing excruciating sharp pains from heel to toe, which then progressed to a unremitting charlie-horse in the arch of my foot. I couldn't bend any toes, couldn't rub it, couldn't do anything but cry and shake.

My husband took me back to the hospital, per my discharge orders. Well....no one at the ER would touch me and my DR was tied up in surgery. I was there 4-1/2 hours getting the runaround. For example, after the second hour, the ER doc was going to give me shot of Toradol, but my Dr said no, because of it's anti-clotting substances. I also had a BP of 158/96 with a heart rate of 112. YES, I WAS IN PAIN. NO I DO NOT TAKE HIGH BP MEDS. Two more hours go by and the surgical nurse comes to my room to ask what is wrong. He says to the ER doc, go ahead and give her Ketorolac ( I'm in healthcare and happened to know that Toradol is Ketorolac) I said, three hours ago I couldn't have "Toradol', which I called by name", the ER doc and ER nurse leave and finally come in and say I can have 1mg injection of Dilaudid, with is a pretty good pain med. After the injection, I was instructed to wait and hour and half! I said "An hour and half?" "That's longer than my recovery from General Anesthesia was!" I ask to sign a waiver and finally went home! Good thing I didn't develop a DVT!

I stayed in agony until the local wore off and I could finally bend my foot. Not before I took Potassium suppliments that gave me heart palpitations! Now my doc is mad at me because my ride cancelled to take me to my follow-up appointment. I asked for the next appointment and said I'd have a back up on stand by. I got a call 20 minutes later from the nurse demanding I get down there that day. I have a stick shift and his office is 40 minutes away. She then said I would be billed for a NO SHOW and ''Sorry, the next appointment available isn't for two weeks!" (after I had already scheduled the next opening)

I'm tempted to send this email to AMA. I asked for my records too and was given the brush off. They will give me copies at my appointment.

I have CMSP for health Insurance and it's a miracle I found this doctor to do my surgery. It took my three years of dead ends to find him and he only agreed because I had worked in healthcare for some of his colleagues. I'm not sure what to do? Any suggestions if you all are still reading?

I had hammer toe (4 toes), bunion and taylor bone surgery 2 weeks ago on the left foot.... i can say that on the bunion and taylor bone sides, the pain has been ok..meaning, manageable with the pain medication, elevation and icing. the 2nd and 3rd days are the worst but it eventually goes down after a week for that part. it feels soar, swollen, kind of what i expected....

however!!!! my toes hurt like hell!!!! not at all what my doc described. to give you an idea, I was 22 hours in labor for my son and i can say that this pain is way more intense!! I have not cried and suffered like this in a while...I took vicodin but the pain was coming back sometimes less than every 3 hours. My toes felt like hey were going to explode at night and being ripped off and burned during the day for a good 5 days... I did not want to overdo it on the pain meds so i gradually switched to advil!! I am not the super sensitive type.  I used to be a black belt in karate and a dancer, so I got my share of sprained ankles, knock out, foot pain etc... 

I am trying to stay hopeful but I do worry about the recovery of my toes and what will happen after... they feel dead and so weak, they are still numb most of the day with the swelling...be ready for lot's of stiches!  

My doc was telling me about putting weight on it after 3-4 days with the help of a cane and the surgical shoe...LIE! i am so glad i got my crutches bc i still can't barely put any weight on it after 2 weeks. Only very lightly on my heel but it's not enough to support and balance my entire weight with a cane! 

Today I went back to work slowly, although i sit at a desk all day, it was rough. My foot still needs to be elevated and iced throughout the day. I requested to apply for short term disability for the second upcoming surgery next month because it's will be just too much with a barely healed 1st foot is barely healed!

Now I am anxious about doing the second foot bc I know the pain involved. I would say: Plan well, if you are having hammer toe surgery, just know that it hurts way more than just the bunions. Walking with just a cane after less than a week seems to me completely crazy, just listen to your instinct, just like i did.

When I saw my frankenfoot with the million stiches last week for the first time at my post op appointment,  I told my him that the pain def matches the look!  he almost said to me that it was in my head...that yes i had lot's of work done but some of the pain is due to stress and anxiety....that i should put try and put more weight on it......yeah ok doc! 

SORRY about all the typos in my post ...it's 3am and I am exhausted..... yes, It hurts! : )

This sounds like a nightmare and you sound like a very difficult patient WOW

I need surgery and I SURE HOPE I do NOT get that Doctor and staff. R Those fine folks in Houston??

I had hammertoe surgery 4 days ago and i am walking good without the surgery shoe now and have very little pain now. It was, however, on my little toe so maybe this is less painful. I didnt need to take any pain meds except for tylenol the first 2 nights.

I had the surgery and found that the pain was not terrible.  Follow doctor instructions, follow all pre and post op instructions carefully, keep foot up and keept it iced.  I needed to take very little pain medication.  More discomfort and inconvenience than serious pain.  My stitches are out now for a couple of weeks and I am still a little swollen.  I cannot for the swelling to go away completely.  I am still tender and my foot looks bruised and hideous.  I am told that is part of the slow healing process.  Every now and then, I get intense pain.  I have been reminded that surgery is surgery and that I need to remember to take care of myself.  Don't rush it.  That is the hard part.  I put up with a screwed up foot and messed up toes with decades.  I should be patient with recovery for months.  I went swimming and noticed that my post surgical toe just flops around like a wet, over cooked noodle and it does not go along with the rest of my toes and my foot.  That is a concerning feeling.  My doctor says that it takes a full 6-12 months to really recover.  I went back to work after 3 days.  I should have waited a week looking back on it. 

HI, on December 20th 2013 a I had a hammer toe surgery on my 4th and 5th toes, it happened to me just the same as you, and I'm wondering how are you doing after a year of your surgery? are you able to wear high heels?

I had hammertoe and bunion surgery on 1/17/2014. The hammertoe was the 2nd toe. I have had almost no pain. I think this may be due to the fact that my surgeon puts a "nerve block" during surgery. I went home on the day of surgery with a surgical shoe and a walker. For three weeks I did not go to work, rested with my foot elevated, and iced as much as possible. The second toe was so bad that the surgeon used the smarttoe implant to fuse the bones. After three weeks I returned to work as a secretary where I could elevate my foot but also needed to walk a little around the office. I have taken ibuproven for inflamation but really have had no pain other than a little zingy feeling where the incisions are healing. This is the second foot that I have had done. The other surgery utilized a k-wire which was removed after several weeks. Again, no pain. This is my 7th week out from surgery and I continue to have swelling on the big toe and the adjacent toe. Hopefully this will stop soon but I have been told that it could continue for several months. I am looking forward to the day when I can wear a normal shoe. Well worth doing, even though it is very inconvenient.

I just had the exact surgery today and i'm in pain. I'm on Norcos and am keeping my foot elevated . When did you first start walking with help from crutches ?

Hello. I had hammertoe surgery on my left foot, second toe, about 10 days ago. The first day was not an issue cause you are still high on meds and everything is numb. Days 2 and 3 were rough but i followed orders; stayed mostly in bed except to goto the bathroom; kept my foot iced and elevated 24 hours a day practically. I was icing it every other hour for about 30 minutes. i was using crutches with NO weight bearing at all. didn't even put my foot down to rest on the heel. I also took my pain pills religiously; even setting my phone alarm to wake me up to take them if i was supposed to take them in the middle of the night. i learned that from having bunion surgery 10 years ago and trying to be a hero. don't ever let the pain "get ahead" of you...it's challenging to "catch up" and manage it. I used crutches out of the surgical center; and i used them to goto the bathroom; i even took a shower on day 2; it was hard, it took a while, but with a very helpful husband we found a routine and stuck with it and having that shower made me feel so much better.

this type of surgery is all in the "mental" preparation. my doc was honest with me and said you won't have long term "horrible" pain; you will have normal surgery pain and discomfort but after a few days, most of the pain will be manageable with over the counter medication. He was right; after 5 days i only took the pain pill at night to help with sleeping; that was a bit awkward and the pill helped take the edge off. otherwise i took ibuprofen if i was sore. on my post op appointment, about 5 days after surgery, i got a boot and was told to wear it AND keep using crutches; the more i stay off the foot and continue to elevate and ice it, the better it will feel. so i had to mentally prepare myself to "slow down" and be patient (not my strong suit). Also, i asked my doc when will the swelling go down and he said "what year is this? 2015? possibly by the beginning of 2016; so he was very clear about the "length" of the recovery; so if you are mentally prepared for that....it's not so bad.

i had hammertoe surgery six days ago on the 2nd and 5th toe's, and i must say i thought it was goin to be worse than imagine. i have not taking the pain medicine since thursday . im walking around my house without the medical boot.