Hi Emily,

I had went off the pill about a year ago, I also had bad acne, loss of sleep, I gained weight, I had depression and anxiety and I also lost most of my hair. I am currently going through tests to find out what is going on inside me....

I currently take Maca Root as it does help with my moods but my cycle is still very out of control anywhere from 17-47 days apart, my acne is on my face, chest and back. I had been going to the doctor every 3 months and all he kept saying was this is all normal....I waited the year he told me to for everything to regulate and then I went back with a list of issues that still have not regulated after a year.

Some days are worse then others I have started to ignore the fact that my hair is super thin and breaking all over, i try not to touch my face neck or back and let the acne come and go. I have taken on playing baseball to try and lose the weight gained and I nap when I can for the loss of sleeping. I have also started to eat extremely healthy as I was and still hope that will help.

I feel that the worst thing about all of this and with seeing so many women also having issues is that it isn't ever talked about....we have pad and tampon commercials or commercials about yeast infections. Why the hell do we not know as girls becoming women the shitty parts of going off of birth control.

I hope that everything works out well for you and they also help me too as I get very down that this is how I may have to live going forward

Hello everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for such detailed information about your symptoms. I went off Ocella nearly a month ago and have been having weird symptoms like tingling, migraines, and anxiety. Especially anxiety. I found this forum while searching for information about my symptoms / mid mild anxiety attack. This has definitely helped me relax a bit. I shudder to think that it could take months before I begin to feel somewhat normal, but I'm glad to know I'm not crazy. I wish you all speedy recoveries!

I was the same in finding this post, I was under the name Shrubo and it is now two + years later. It was the most horrendous time of my life, but 4 months I started to feel 'normal' just remember to breath, look after your health and try natural alternatives to help you through it. And talk about it, be open about it so people can support you.

Thank you so much. That's really comforting. Right now I'm at the point where one day I'll be fine, and the next I'll wake up with an anxiety attack and feel terrible the rest of the day. I'm hoping that means it's almost over, but goodness knows. I've also recently been laid off from my job, and I'm starting grad school next week, so my stress levels aren't exactly low, but I'm trying to meditate and do deep breathing at least once a day. If anyone has any relaxation tips I'd appreciate whatever suggestions y'all have.

Hi ladies,
Shyla, the weird head feeling, I've been feeling more now this month than ever, it's very strange. This is currently my seventh month off of it. Last month was a breeze, I thought I was in the clear. This month, not quite so much. Now I'm experiencing almost what I think a hot flash would feel like on the tops of my arms, and many of my old symptoms but not as extreme. Again, I think it's driving me more crazy that I'm not feeling better than the actual symptoms themselves. I've noticed that yoga has really been helping. After reading about menopause, I really feel like that's what my body is mimicking. I went to my gyno and she said all of the symptoms sound like excess progesterone. For the most part, my periods are regular, BUT I know my body is not back to normal because my entire life I would have the same PMS symptoms every month ( the most telling, sore breasts) I have not yet experienced that symptom since being off the pill which really makes me feel like my body is not back to itself. Recently, my boyfriend was speaking to a woman at work who was thinking about putting her daughter on birth control. Her gyno recommended other forms of birth control because she said it may take a year until the body bounces back after coming off of it- which was so reassuring to hear. This may just be a really long, annoying process for all of us, but we're not alone.

Hi! I know this post was from a very very long time ago, but I’m the off chance you’ll see this reply, I wanted to ask you how long you had your symptoms from coming off the pill if they ever went away all the way?

This comment made me literally gasp because you are the first person who has explained their head pressure sensation the exact same way that I’ve experienced it! I literally feel like I have a pair of sunglasses perched on the top of my head or a thin head band, and there is a slight pulling sensation that comes with it, literally exactly as you said it.

I have had the WORST experience both on and now coming off of birth control (4 mths off now) and I’m just starting to drive myself crazy, and I’m pretty sure my doctor doesn’t believe me and thinks I’m a hypocondriac so I’ve given up on that route.

Anyway please let me know how you’re doing now and how long it took your symptoms to subside

Hi, my symptoms lasted around 9-12 months but you almost need to cleanse your body. I still near 4 years let get tingly sensation in my arms hand but I now know this is my bodies way of showing anxiety and I have measures to calm down and work through it.

I Know this thread is old. I hope someone out there is still following and can offer help/advice/comfort, anything really. I stopped my birth control at the end of november. I was at the end of my pack of pills, had my period and just didn’t start a new Pack after that. I was about 6 days late starting my period in December. It lasted about 4 days. On December 18, I had my normal checkup with my crohns doctor (I have had crohns since 2013). He always does bloodwork and on that Thursday he called with the results saying my ALT (liver enzymes) were very slightly elevated and my WBC was high too. He asked if I felt ok, which I did at the time. After that things got worse. I started worrying constantly about my liver. So bad it gave me anxiety, which I’ve never had before. I couldn’t sleep, heart felt like it was pounding. I of course made the mistake of looking up the issue with my liver on google and the results scared me, which is what led to the anxiety. I then started having pressure across my face. Went to the doctor and she said I had drainage and gave me antibiotics for sinus infection. Antibiotic tore my stomach up. After that I started developing back pain and weakness/numbness in legs. Multiple trips to ER with no outcome. The pressure has continued on my face, an X-ray of the sinuses revealed they are fine. I’m awaiting an MRI now. Back pain has stopped. Face pressure hasn’t been bad for two days, but when it is, it’s mainly on my right side, pain in the temple, and across cheek and nose and behind eye sometimes blurry vision. My right leg aches, tingles, burns all the way down. Especially sitting down or laying down. My left burns and tingles just on the thigh and not nearly as often. Leg pains have been going on for about a week. They come and go. I don’t feel as if I’m as anxious as I was. I don’t know if anxiety is the cause of this, if it’s related to stopping birth control, or if I have something seriously wrong. Of course I’m fearing, blood clot, tumor, MS... you know all those horrible things! I’m scared and still nervous. Hopefully MRI will be Friday or first of next week. I’m almost more concerned about my leg now because I can’t image what’s causing it. I forgot to mention, I have had bloodwork done including (CBC, metabolic panel, thyroid, vitamin B12, anemia, C Reactive Protien, Sed Rate, CK, magnesium, folate, A1C, Vitamin D, and urinalysis). All have been fine. I’m 26.

Hi, I am Shrubo and posted in this thread when I was going through my withdrawals from birth control. I also had copious amounts of tests, MRI, neurological checks and they found nothing. What it all was and still to a degree today is how my body dealt with withdrawals of a drug I had taken for close to 13+ years. It was also my body manifesting certain sensations that i now know is anxiety and stress driven. It took me over 9 months but I also feel pregnant in that time so my hormones were all over the place. I am now years on and still get tingles and pressure and I now know it is anxiety and how to work through it. All the best hun.

I so appreciate your reply. It gives me hope! I’m hoping nothing is wrong. If it’s all from the pill, it makes me wish I would have never started it ten years ago. Still no word on when I’ll get to do the MRI. Anxiety has been extremely bad today.

Find ways to distract from the anxiety, I found that I had to train my body how to deal with the anxiety and how to manage stress. Go for walks, work out, watch a TV show you like, clean the house, garden whatever you enjoy in order to distract and help re wire the bodies coping mechanisms. I also took natural supplements that support woman’s hormone in balance and oils. It does get better but when you are in it, it is horrible, have faith and in time your body will heal. Another new study has shown gut health plays a vital part in everything this may also help to heal the body whilst withdrawing.

New Member
Hello all, this forum saved my mental health and I wanted to share this with everyone.
I also had the same symptoms as almost everyone here, and I went to my doctors office because I felt really bad, having constant head pressure, ear pressure, dizziness, anxiety, panic attacks, neck stiffness and so on... Later that day I found this forum and was relieved to know that there may be a cause for all of that and I wasn't going crazy. I knew that I was healthy, but my mind decided to think otherwise.
Yesterday I received my blood results, everything was perfect. My doctor thought that maybe the problem was with my neck since I work as a web developer. Went to do RTG of my neck and the results were also good.
It has been a month and a half since I quit taking birth control. I never had problems with anxiety or panic attacks, until I started taking pills, but after quitting them it was much worse. Something like feeling constant fear. After finding this forum my anxiety was gone, I still felt pressure in my head and sometimes tingling in my face which was really annoying but the worse problem was my state of mind. I knew that I wasn't the same person and that made me desperate. Fortunately my symptoms are getting better every day, yesterday was really bad but today I feel like my old self. I think this will all end really soon.
I wanted to share my story to give some advice on how to accelerate your hormones going back to normal. I realised when I eat unhealthy food (like McDonalds), I feel really bad day after but when I eat healthy food everything is much better. Also, having a doctor check my blood helped with the fear that I felt. I started taking multivitamins and omega-3 capsules, but that was only 3 days ago so I am not sure if that already helped. I exercise daily, at least for half an hour, and that was something I was doing during the time I was on pill and I continued to do so after stopping taking the pill. I believe my body is adjusting the hormone balance due to that fact.
My advice to everyone here having the same issues, please try to stay calm (I know that is the hardest part), don't let it stop you from doing things you love, eat healthy, exercise (this is really important since at least it helps you sleep at night). Do the best things you can for your body and everything will go back to normal state, but staying healthy will speed up the whole process :)

I hope I helped someone here

Hi everyone,

I'm Emily (26 years old) and I started posting on this forum 3-4 years ago when I went off the birth control and had many of the issues that you guys described and much more. I saw all kinds of doctors and had every possible test done; blood tests, MRIs, CT scans, you name it.. I had headaches, toothaches, digestive issues, eye floaters, anxiety, really bad depression, skin problems. I feared that I had a tumor, MS, blood clots in my lungs...

I felt like it was my responsibility to check this forum again and tell all of you that everything is going to be ok. My issues were all due to hormonal imbalance. I started learning about alternative treatment methods (chinese medicine, acupuncture, herbs) and I also started seeing a naturopathic doctor. It is unbelievable but my gynecologist had refused to test my hormone levels because my symptoms were all over the place, I wasn't describing a meaningful picture... Like are you kidding me?! Isn't it your job to figure out what is wrong? I was telling her exactly what I was feeling!! Instead she told me to go back on birth control to balance my hormones. If I have a daughter one day I will never ever let her put artificial hormones in her body.

Going back to my story. Finally, through my ND, I got all my hormone levels checked. Guess what? My estrogen levels were so low, at menopause levels! No wonder I was feeling so bad. Over a long period of time I used a lot of different supplements and herbs, changed my diet, and finally when my hormones were checked again last month they were up much higher. I feel like I'm still recovering, but I'm feeling soo much better and at least now I know what is the underlying issue.

I hope that this helps some of you guys out there. I know how horrible it feels, I've been there.

Best,

Emily.

I feel really sorry for you, you had to go through all of this for so long.. I hope it all gets back in its place soon and you'll feel like your old self. I have been having these symptoms for only one month and I don't know if I could manage to live with it for few years. Fortunately, I already started to feel better but that is because I found this forum and started to eat healthy and I take multivitamins and omega-3. I feel good almost 90% of the time now, i have some bad mornings but during the day it all passes. I think a few more weeks for me and I will be 100% normal again. Wish you all the best!