I'd been diagnose with acid reflux 3 months ago. The symptoms started off as infrequent SOB that last several seconds to what is now progressive/chronic dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) and choking/suffocation at bedtime. I couldn't sleep at all for the past several weeks and this is definitely affecting my quality of life. I had thought about giving up life and cope with this problem. However, it is progressive and I'm getting a new discomfort almost everyday.

As for my own observations to this problem, I have a feeling that my stomach is producing TOO MUCH acidic gas and that it is back flowing to my throat where the larynx is. This usually worsen by laying down during sleep and I will get a sense of choking while waking up 2-3 times every night (worst symptom at the moment).

As for my daytime symptoms, I will get alot of pressure stuck in my throat when I sit down straight. This will lead to further swallowing difficulty and it usually affects the swallowing of thin fluids. (water, tea etc) Also, the severeness of the symptoms changes according to my body positions. For instances, if a lay back on an angle more than 90 degrees, my symptom would go away or would be minimal. However, if i tried to sit up with my back straight, the symptoms will be at its worst and I will get the choking and lump in throat feeling. My neck would then become very tight as well.

At the end of the day, I had also figured out this could be something more serious relating to the vagus nerve or my spine. I did seek help from my chiropractor and after an adjustment, the symptoms hadn't went away. Therefore, this is some place people should look into as well if your physician has no place to look for a proper diagnoses.

Lastly, I can't say it is not anxiety related but something has to happen first before the anxiety level rises to what is now frequent worrying/panic. As for medication such as PPI and H2 blockers, they are not working for me as I'm still getting alot of gas several minutes I popped a Prevacid pill. I can even say I'm getting more gas in my stomach, intestines and esphogus after I took it. This is very depressing since nothing is helping me to relief my problems, it is only getting worst and eventually I have a feeling I won't be able to bear with it. Thanks for reading. Ask me any questions if you guys feel you wanna know more about this disease.

I have been on Prilosec (Omeprazole) for about 10 years for what was much like what you described. It has been working well for me.

Very well. I hope you're feeling better and doesn't have progressive symptoms like I do. I however haven't done an endoscopy for my esophagus. Right now, I'm considering another barium swallow and perhaps spinal x-ray. Also, my esophagus maybe narrowing or swelling and I'm having this tightness feeling in my esophagus constantly. Excuse me for now, can you kindly explain how your symptoms went and how did it stop? Thanks.