Hi, guys. I have a tendency to develop acid reflux. I must admit that lately I feel my heart works irregularly. This scares me a little and therefore I would really like to know whether acid reflux can affect my heart function. I would really appreciate all your replies. Bye, folks!

Hello. I think there are no direct evidences that heart function can be affected by acid reflux. This chemical can affect the vagus. It is a nerve that is very important for acid secretion, but for heart rhythm as well. Its stimulation stimulates acid secretion, but slows heartbeats. Swallowing can irritate small nerves in the esophagus which affects heartbeats as well. However, these are only assumptions. There must be experiments done to prove this. I hope I’ve helped. Good luck!

From my experience suffering from acid reflux over 20 years, I can certainly tell you that it can affect the heart. The signs that I have, is heavy chest, breathing problem even upto choking feeling. So my suggestion, if you have sour stuff coming up into your throat from your stomach dont panic and try to get anti acid medication.

I have been having difficulty with acid reflux for about  months and only in the last week or so have I begun my taking Prevacid which was prescribed to me. Yesterday I saw my own family doctor who now thinks that I have heart problems so severe that he has prescribed nitroglycerine spray!