For the last 3 or so years i have had a choking problem whenever i eat something (no matter how small the bites or how much i chew the food) it seems to get stuck halfway between my throat and stomach no matter what i do the food won't go down,i usually end up gagging myself to throw up and get relief,after that i can eat freely and it doesn't happen again for a few days,i don't have any known health problems and i think this could be inherited i remember my father having similar problems when i was young(i'm 40 now) if anyone could give me an idea of what this could be i would be very grateful thanks.

Sounds like GERD - have  you had an endoscopy?  If not, I suggest you get one - could be acid reflux. could be blockage.  Have you tried drinking water before, during and/or after the food is in  your mouth? Sometimes I find, (i had a thyroidectomy and other issues so have issues swallowing) that I have to moisten my mouth while I am eating...however, in your case, get in touch with a gastroenterologist right away - they will be able to help you.  Good luck!

I don't have acid reflux but my mother does have thyroid disease and that may be an issue I've never heard of GERD but I will check in to it and thanks for the reply.

Actually, if you look at early signs of thyroid disease or cancer, difficulty swallowing is one of the first symptoms. I had that for years and years and told my, then, primary doctor, who did nothing as all my thyroid tests came back absolutely normal!!! you might want to ask you doctor for a sonogram of your neck and throat areas, just to be safe. Sonograms are not dangerous and do not hurt, but they can show early stage...that's what found my small thyroid tumor between my carotid and jugular veins!!! If your mom has thyroid disease, I believe personally, it is important for you to be tested. Do not be afraid - if something is there - deal with it and survive. If nothing is there, then...cool!!