A week before Christmas, I'm eating a satsuma. I have an awkward swallow (maybe a seed or a particularly stringy part), and for a sec I fear I'm choking. But I drink water and am breathing fine, so I carry on. I have dinner, then the lumpy throat feeling returns, and I briefly feel like I'm about to vomit.  The next morning, I'm fine.  But after lunch, the lump in the throat comes back, so I go to the ER, thinking I might have a blockage in the esophagus.

The doc says since I can keep food down, they won't give me the endoscope, he thinks I just have a scratched esophagus, with a secondary possibility of GERD.  Soft foods for a few days, it gets better, but then comes back again.  

I try the GERD diet.  Keep in mind, I don't drink alcohol, I've never smoked, I'm skinny, I don't drink coffee, and I'm allergic to dairy so I can't have a lot of rich, creamy foods anyway.  But I try to stay clear of sodas, tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc.  The lump in throat feeling doesn't go away (tried Gaviscon for 2 days didn't notice much difference).  In fact, my worst reactions came from eating GERD "safe" foods like apples, a pretzel, and dry cereal, even oatmeal...

So I go to my GP (now about 3 wks past the initial incident), he thinks I have a scratched esophagus, but he admits it's unusual to last so long.  He refers me to an ENT, he does a laryngoscope, sees nothing wrong with my throat or the top of my esophagus.  He tells me to eat soft foods for a week.  Next stop, a gastro if it doesn't get better.

...And that's where I'm at now.  I'm eating soft foods, but it doesn't seem to go away.  I feel fine in the mornings, but right after meals I usually have a lump feeling.  I don't really have many other heartburn symptoms, and as I said, some of my worst lump feelings have come after eating GERD safe foods.

I'm at my wit's end.  How can I get better so I can eat normal food without feeling like I'm choking afterwards?  Is there anything you can do to help a scratch on your esophagus heal????

Good day there.

Never underestimate this condition! A lot of people just deal with the fact that this could be a simple lump in throat that happens because you are stressed.

It is very important to observe early warning signs of this lump in the throat. Those early symptoms also include neck or throat pain, in rare occasion weight loss, some pain, choking, difficulty swallowing.

Also, you can deal with spitting up food and muscle weakness. Those signs are very often a sign of some more serious issue that requires medical treatment. 

In my case, those were a bit more serious digestive issues. 

Omg, I am having your exact symptoms!  However, I have not gone to see anyone about this issue, for fear they will not see

Anything.  What did you find out. How did it resolve?? I'm just waiting to see if it clears up on its own.

Well, I went to a gastro, they did an endoscope. The choking feeling is gone now. All the doctor saw was some mild gastritis. However, they did dilate my esophagus, and that probably did it. The doctor said sometimes there is a flap of skin in the esophagus that isn't visible to the eye, but is still big enough to get aggravated when eating and causing the choking sensation. I don't know that the choking feeling was related to the gastritis...that might have been from the stress of the whole thing (I tend to worry and obsess). Before the endoscope, the gastro thought I might have had something called eosophlic esophagitis (I spelled it wrong, but something like that)...it's basically an allergic reaction to something that causes the constricting feeling. Turns out I didn't have that, but the symptoms were very similar to what I experienced, so that might be worth looking into for you. The endoscope scared me a little going into it, but it went fine. I get the occasional stomach pain now, but I can at least eat without the choking feeling.

I have exactly the same symptoms for more than 2 months and it just will not go away! I was sick for 2 weeks with tonsilitis, sore throat and mild fever. I got the itchy throat (just at the back of mu throat, its like someone touches me softly there). I went to a doctor first, he thougt it was fungus (oral thrush) and gave me all of antifungus and natural medicines to boost up my immune system. Then I went back again, he said not to worry and tried to boost my immune ssytem again. Went to a second doctor, she just gave me some antifungal mouthwash and nystamisin or something to sawllow. Nothing again. The third doctor told me he sees no oral thrush but advised me to quit all the other drugs and try something to reduce the acid in my stomach cuz he thinks that is thats causing everything// 2 weeks later and still nothing. Might be cancer or smthn? :(

have exactly the same symptoms for more than 2 months and it just will not go away! I was sick for 2 weeks with tonsilitis, sore throat and mild fever. I got the itchy throat (just at the back of mu throat, its like someone touches me softly there). I went to a doctor first, he thougt it was fungus (oral thrush) and gave me all of antifungus and natural medicines to boost up my immune system. Then I went back again, he said not to worry and tried to boost my immune ssytem again. Went to a second doctor, she just gave me some antifungal mouthwash and nystamisin or something to sawllow. Nothing again. The third doctor told me he sees no oral thrush but advised me to quit all the other drugs and try something to reduce the acid in my stomach cuz he thinks that is thats causing everything// 2 weeks later and still nothing. Might be cancer or smthn? :(

You should have a CT SCAN with contrast or an EUS (esophageal sonogram). I had similar symptoms when I was 23 and was diagnosed with a rare bronchogenic cyst. It was removed via thoracic surgery and I recovered. I am now, at 54, experiencing the symptoms, again, and have been diagnosed with a new Duplicate or Bronchogenic cyst. I go in for an EUS in three days to determine exact location and type of cyst and also to determine if surgery is required. What is disconcerting is that I have recently complained to my doc for several years about trouble swallowing and he told me it was scar tissue. Only after changing doctors was a CT SCAN ordered and the 1 inch x 5 inch cyst discovered. All, please be proactive with your health; you may just save your own life.

About 10 years ago i scrached my thoat with a chipped off peice of hard boiled sweet. I had problems for the next few weeks every time i ate. If food ever scratched or got caught in that area the sensation would be back, but would usually go within minutes, hours or days. But i learned to deal with it as i knew the sensation would go. But then i was eating a pringle(crisp) 2 months ago and it seemed to scratch or stick in that part of my throat, it made me throw up and i expected the sensation to go within a few hours or days. But 3 weeks past and the sensation never really went, a bit of a living nightmare especially when trying to eat, so i went to the doctors, only to be told its nothing to worry about and it could be something called globus sensation. 4 weeks later and still no real change, so i went back to the doctor, he still said i don't need to worry but has booked me into an ent specialist. But that appointment isn't for another 2 months?! I can't enjoy eating, i have to try and ear only soft foods where i can. But i seem to just keep aggravating that area so the sensation won't go away. It won't let my mind stop being anxious because its telling me to panic as my throat feels like there is something in there or scarred sensation isn't going to go away. Its really starting to get me down and take over!!

I'm 21 female , before 3 weeks ago I was eating and I swallowed a small piece of pickled lemon , I terrified and thought I was gonna choke , I threw up and tried to calm down . After that I felt that something was stuck at the back of my throat I could eat nothing I just thought that I would choke if I eat , after 5 days I went to an ENT , he checked my throat and said there's nothing and that I just scratched it and he gave me anti inflammation pills , 5 days later that sensation disappeared , I started eating a little bit more cause all what I've been eating was milk dairies anyway whenever I wanted to eat I started freaking out my heart starts beating fast and I feel that I would experience the same again. Today I was having lunch and I was eating some bread I don't know I felt like if I swallowed it with chewing it well . I feel so confused and obsessed , I really don't know what to do about it , we almost experience the same situation.

Dude I'm having the same f*****g problem right now it's been 6 days now how long did yours last?? Because I can't f*****g take it anymore...

I'm 21 and literally turned 21 two days ago on a trip to Japan. (Currently waiting at an airport for my flight home).
While having dinner one night I was eating eel sushi and felt one of the bones hit the back of my throat causing me to throw it back up.
For days after it felt like the bone was stuck in my throat, I panicked for the first time in my life and felt like I was going to choke at any point. It feels like a constant lump in the back of my throat and makes everything hard to drink and swallow.
Being in Japan I wanted to seek medical help, but I had to wait two days because Sunday was when all clinics were closed and Monday was a public holiday. None of the hospitals were willing to see you unless it was critical.
So on Tuesday I visited them and had my first gastroscopy down my throat (twice), and a CAT or CT scan (forgot which one whoops)
They said there was nothing there, gave me some meds and sent me on my way.
It has been over a week now, I accidentally misplaced my antibiotics and finished my anti-inflammation meds.
It's as bad as ever, I'm eating small things, feel like choking each time I eat, but my bowel movements are good.
The only other sign is a pain in my lower abdomen.
I'm freaking out, I don't know if I go to a hospital whether they would start tube feeding me or not.
How longer will this last....

Hey there has it cleared up yet or are you finding difficulties?

Going through this now. About 2 week’s ago, I had an episode of irregular/hard heartbeats. It was accompanied by the feeling of a piece of meat stuck at the bottom of my throat. Also felt light headed and like I would soon faint so my co workers called 911 and had me brought to the ER. Chest X-rays and blood tests came back normal. The throat feeling and irregular heartbeats went away. They sent me home but told me to see a cardiologist and a gastroenterologist. Cardiologist had me wear a heart monitor for 3 days. I had about 2-3 episodes while it and even pushed the button to make him aware of it. He said the monitor report came out normal. Then had an ultrasound of my abdomen (normal) followed by an endoscopy, which showed mild esophagitis. While waiting at home though all of this, I noticed that if I eat enough to fill my stomach, I get the throat feeling and irregular heartbeats, even if I’ve eaten GERD safe food. If I keep the meal to about s cup or less and don’t drink liquid with the meal, I’m fine even when eating mostly normal food. Gastro doc now thinks I ate something sharp enough to scratch my lower esophagus and I get those symptoms if I eat enough to have digestive juices reach the scratch which causes my esophagus to spasm and cause the tightness and irregular heartbeats. I’ve been eating small meals- like a coffee cup full or less and have been fine. Had chicken with one meal and a good chunk of a bison burger for another. No problems!!!! I’m supposed to follow up with him in 2 weeks. I’ll keep the meals small indefinitely until this heals.

Hope this helps someone because I literally freaked out every second about this until he and I figured this out.

Hello!
This is in response to the person who felt like a piece of meat got stuck in their throat, had irregular heartbeats, and, while feeling faint, their coworkers called 911... after getting thoroughly checked-out, you got hooked-up w/ a heart monitor for 3 days...
Thank you for posting this, as it sounds similar to what's been happening to me since last week. But my issue includes Difficulty Breathing as well. I had been eating Tortilla Chips & guacamole & must have swallowed a pc of chip that I hadn't chewed well, though I didn't think I did. But after I finished my snack, I immediately felt like a had a Huge Lump in my chest/esophagus, so I started drinking a lot of Water. It didn't help, and, while I usually breath rather shallowly, I felt that I had to start inhaling very Deeply in order to get enough Air in. And each time I did that, it was Very painful, like a 3-inch Stone was stuck in my chest! I got really Scared, as I've never had a sensation like this before -- in fact, I've never had heartburn before & I Rarely even Burp!
It was hard to fall asleep that night due to both Pain & Fear, and when I felt just the same the next day, I started wondering if this was an early warning of an impending Heart Attack...
I've read, heard & seen TV interview stories about perfectly healthy, trim people my age (52) going about their day, when all of a sudden, they just don't feel right, like they start coughing or their Chest feels Tight or it's Hard to Breath, but they think they'll be fine soon -- maybe they're just coming down w/ something or -- they're working-out too hard & they better slow down a bit... they eventually go see a doctor only to be told: "Good thing you came in today -- you Almost Had a Heart Attack." ACK! In fact-- I kid you Not-- I was just hanging w/ a friend last night who told me that a couple years ago that scenario happened to his Very Fit brother (my age!)-- but, since he told his wife how he was feeling and she's a Nurse, she took him to a doctor right away. Sure enough, he would have had a heart attack had he ignored those symptoms!
Well, yesterday was the 1st day my chest felt like it was clearing up, though not completely normal. Even now, when I take in deep breaths, I still feel like a Lump is there, but a much Smaller lump than last week. So I'm gonna stop inhaling deeply, since I no longer feel I need to...
In conclusion, after reading your story & the others from 2017 & 16(?) [it's April 16th, 2018 now], I'm thinking I actually did just Scratch my esophagus w/ a tortilla chip piece & Im not about to have what's commonly referred to as a "Widow-maker" Heart Attack... so how are You doing now? Are you all healed & back to normal? You must have lost a Lot of weight having to eat all those Small Meals for so long....
SMJ

How are you doing? is everything better? same? worse? Are you able to eat?