My GERD symptoms are "lump" in throat, difficulty in swallowing, and terrible bloating/pain. I am on medications Nexium and Donnatal, but they don’t help. The result was terrible, even more difficulty swallowing followed by difficulty in breathing and accompanied by panicky feelings. I also feel like if I have gas trapped in my esophagus, it’s awful! Am I alone with these symptoms?

I too have a "lump" in the throat, but I feel like it is more some of the food that I didn't swallow properly. Like it just sits there, and I get really panicky and think that this food is slowly choking me. My doctor says that it is the acid I am feeling, but every time I swallow it feels like there is something stuck there. I am also diagnosed with GERD and started taking Nexium. The medication doesn’t help me either, the heartburn and that heavy feeling in the chest and the stomach seem to be getting worse.

I feel like someone is trying to choke me. The doctors all have agreed that I have gerd. Ii belive this all developed from a severe case of the rota virus. After that infection my stomach has never been the same. constantly feel like something is living in me (from my stomach up). I never had any other health probems up till this.

Are you still having these symptoms and is not - what did you do to fix them? please help

Fay,

I have very similar symtoms but have found no relief with any of the GERD medications.

Have you found any relief?

I have the same problem and was told it was GERD or Acid Reflux. I take pantaloc which seems to help with the burning feeling I was getting at night but I still have the lump in my throa and sometimes feels like its closing off and that I might choke. My family doctor sent me to an ENT who basically tried to shove this very large thing in my mouth and told me to keep breath, well I pretty much had a panick attack when he did that and he gave me the medicine and told me to come back in a month after trying it and if I still had problems he would try to look in my throat again, I left the office and never made another appointment because I found the doctor to be very rude and not very understanding, I felt like ramming the big shovel down his throat and see how he felt. I had my gallbladder removed over 3 years ago and I think that is probably one of the main reasons for my acid reflux/gerd/lump in throat.

I have been having GERD/REFLUX for more than 10 years which is a lump in the throat. I had 5 endoscopes, the last one being 2004 where the gastrologist suggest that I shouldnt have any more endoscopes anymore until I am 70 and the result comes out with nothing. Docs said I have GERD which is terrible but it did recover sometimes. It happens again recently when I have a tongue operation to remove some mocusal neuroma (raw nerve tumour) on the right side of my tongue and just yesterday I remove 2-3 small neuromas on the left side.Because I have anxiety problems and due to neuromas could be symptoms of MEN (endocrine cancers) which docs have ruled out so far, but because of anxiety and meals skipping, GERD came back. I am on Controloc 40mg now for 1 month and will continue for another month. GERD have stopped for 2 years after I take probiotics supplements coupled with Domperidome 10mg in the morning before food. It has cured me for 2 years without GERD, but bcos of the cancer test on my tongue and I skip probiotics for 1 month (cos afraid it might be a cause of neuroma) GERD came back last month. Difficult to get rid now!! Now taking Probiotics, Domperidome 10mg and Controloc 40 mg before food in the morning. Try to sleep with the head level up about 1 feet. Sometimes it help. Day time normally no problem. Only starts when you go to sleep and GERD will wake me up at about 4-5am in the morning, will usually go away at 1-2pm after meals. But will recur once you sleep for 4 hrs or so.Can someone help?

I also have this feeling of a lump in my throat. I have acid reflux. I feel like all my food didn't go down...All the same symptoms. However, I havent went to the ENT yet. I want to because I feel a hard knot on the left tonsil. Like a stone its so hard.
I went to the Endocrinologist first. They did an ultrasound and noticed large nodes on my thyroid. They were biopsied and found benign. However, they feel as if they have increased in size after given levoxyl to medicate and shrink the nodes. I am not sure its working. I am scheduled a new ultrasound to see. I want to see the ENT to be sure they dont see other stuff with the scope or a CT-scan. So check with an endocrinologist as well for goiters or nodes on the thyroid they can cause a stranglation feeling and lumpy feeling in the throat.

Crystal029,

I am reading this because I know I have GERD but I woke up with a feeling like something is stuck in my throat as well. Like something is choking me. I just wanted to tell you your doctor is a m***n. When I went my doctor put me to sleep and gave me an endoscopy - it's a tube that goes into your throat down your esophogus. He did it while I was sleeping so I did not feel a thing. You need to find a good doctor who wont be rude and shove sticks down your throat.

That lump in the throat feeling could be caused by a hiatal hernia. A hiatal hernia is a condition where part of the esophagus slips through the diaphragm and into the chest cavity. It is a condition common to many people but not everyone shows symptoms. It is believed hiatal hernias cause or worsens GERD.

Anyway, I think when the espophagus slips into the chest cavity, it puts pressure on the throat and causes you to feel like there is something stuck there. Also, there may be a "kink" or a fold somewhere on the esophagus and this may be causing the lump in the throat feeling.

Perhaps you should check with a doctor to determine the severity of your probable hiatal hernia. And you should probably ask for a barrium swallow x-ray, along with an endoscopy. If your doctor determines your problem is caused by a hiatal hernia, he may suggest surgery. Surgery for repairing a hiatal hernia is usually effective and shouldn't require a long hospital stay.

I have a strong heartbeat, frequent fevers, cold swet, chills, constant stomach pain, sharp shooting pain in the stomach and bowels, unbearable heartburn, gastritis, other stomach discomfort such as it constantly moving around and making all kinds of strange noises, not being able to swallow food completely (it just stays right below my throat, feels like a lump), swollen glands, bumpy throat, nasty taste in my mouth, constant head aches and just general cloudy feeling in my head where I feel like I'm on the verge of blacking out from the pain and severity of these symptoms.

I have had H Pylori before and several ulcers. I was treated for it, to no avail. The symptoms are just getting worse as the year go by .. YES.. years..

Doctors do nothing .. some blame anxiety .. others offer expensive tests which show usually one or two things wrong like an ulcer, or a hiatal hernia, or gastritis but never offer any kind of treatment is offered other then antacids which do not help at all. Although, they may provide some temporary relief from time to time.

It has gone so far where I had a liver biopsy because for some reason they thought I had Wilsons disease. I have been through everything with many doctors and nobody can find any anwsers.

I have tried the propolis treatment, eating that stuff everyday and it does not help.

How could there be so many people with these symptoms all being blown off by doctors? This is obviously something which none of them are familiar with. I have had this problem for YEARS and its getting worse nd worse. I'm too the point where the nausea and heartburn wake me up at night.

Nobody has any anwsers ... Somebody please help ... my e-mail is *** if anybody has any suggestions.. Thanks for taking the time to read.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I've been having the same symptoms. I thought I was crazy... and other people did too. If I drink something at work and then have to get on a conference call with a client and my colleagues, I start to choke while talking. I feel like I can't breath enough to take in air for my next sentence and look like I'm about to throw up in front of everyone. These are people that I know well and am totally relaxed with... not anxiety. I've found that I only have this problem if I've had food or drink in the past 30 minutes. My throat feels like its full of slime and is also very constricted. What the hell is this? I know I need to loose weight... I wonder if it will clear up if I do.

Hi unexist...have you been tested for Meningitis? It sounds like you have many of the symptoms.

what is gerd?

i just develop those symptoms this morning. It's awful, like food stuck in my throat. I dont know what to do

I was told I have GERD about seven years ago. I had all the tests-tube down your throat with a camera on it, swallowing that junk and then being x-rayed, throat stretched, and the tube down your nose and into your throat while you're hooked up to wires and a computer type thing for 24hours. Try sleeping or not having a panic attack every time you eat or swallow while that tube is lodged in your throat!! Here I am seven years later and I still feel as though a baseball is lodged in my throat and now I'm having bad chest pains, sweats, freezing feet and hands, shortness of breath and the whole nine yards. Was taken to hospital by ambulance the other day because co-workers thought I was having a heart attack. That was ruled out. So what's the deal? Can GERD have same symptoms as a heart attack? Just how bad soes this stuff get? I could actually live with the chest pains if I could just get rid of this tightness in my neck and throat. Anyone with similar problems or anyone with a solution?[/list]