For the past few months I have had a feeling of something under my right rib when I bend over or sit down. I cannot feel anything there when palpating the area but feel like something is there when I sit or bend over. Also right shoulder area is aching... I believe from the same issue. I have a doctors appointment in a month and a half but was wondering if this is something that should be examined sooner?? Thanks.

KSM0299 wrote:

Hi,i am having exactly the same thing! i have an ultrasound booked for 23rd of this month to check for gallstones.the pain is more annoying than anything and feels like something is under my ribs.i have just had a course of acid reflux tablets that have got rid of the acid(up to yet ,4 days left)it feels like i could scoop deep under my right ribs to get it out.the doctor i saw today examined me and i felt tenderness where he was prodding about,he also asked if i drink lots of alcohol which i dont have any.its worrying me to death.i feel like i need to burp to get rid of the ache.so you arnt alone and when i do the scan i will post back and let you know whats happening.x 4 now

What did you find? I am having the same symptoms.

donna123 wrote:

KSM0299 wrote:

Hi..I have had the same symtoms for about a month now as well. I have seen had an ultrasound and they found 3 kidney stones. However, the kidney stones were not the problem because they were very small and laying on the bottom of the kidney. I still have the tenderness, and feeling of something there under my rib along with a lump that doesnt hurt but like you said a very annoying feeling. I was wondering if either of you found out what the diagnosis for your symptoms are???

Me Too............. I had it checked out via ultrasound about a year ago and they found nothing. However now I feel like there is something bigger under my ribs on the right side. I have just made another appointment for Monday and then googled my symptoms and found this page. I'll report back on Monday! Does anyone else have an upate as yet?

I'm having the same thing. I've had urine and blood tests done as well as an ultrasound and CT, all done at the ER after becoming seriously panicked. After all the tests were done the only thing they found "wrong" with me was that I had a swollen tube going to my kidney (which they said was nothing) and that I have diverticulosis, which wouldn't contribute to the problem as that is on the left side. I left the ER with a diagnosis of Gastritis and was given a dose of Mylanta and a prescription of Prilosec to clear up the Gastritis. I will say that the Mylanta worked wonders, didn't cure the problem. Along with this strange feeling I've also had a bout of diarrhea for the past 2 weeks. After a follow up appointment with my PC, she said that after looking at my tests, that she can't see anything wrong and that she thinks I just have a viral infection along with the gastritis. If this is the case, why am I still having this strange feeling? I've very worried and afraid of what it could be and fear the worst. Please post if any of you have had any improvement or know of what is wrong with you.

Wow, this sounds very like what I have been experiencing. It started off about 5 years ago, just under the right ribs, a little right of the solar plexus (soft central spot under the ribs). In the beginning, it was like a 'pins and needles' sort of sensation. Then a feeling like a bubble which I would find myself pushing at with my finger. Five years later, I feel this discomfort, especially during times of stress or after eating fatty foods. I too had acid reflex. The doctor gave me suppressant tablets to let the condition 'heal'. Although we discussed the possibility that it was an ulcer, nothing was said overtly. The acid suppresants worked and the discomfort healed, though obviously I have it again. I too had ultrascans looking at gallbladder issues etc - nothing could be seen to be wrong. I am overweight and I have often thought it could be a hernia. Is that a possibilty? I'm not saying that being overweight is the link between the two, but with all that extra fat, the wall of the abdominan could weaken. I've also noticed I have diahorea at times, often I get a pain at the bottom of the abdomen and I just have to 'go'. Are these things linked? I don't know... thoughts that go through my mind are Irritable Bowel Syndrome, some sort of food intolerance, hernia, bowel cancer (!) etc. If anyone here has had any conclusive results please share them?!

Hi I have exactly the same type of symptons, feels like there is something under my right rib I have terrible back/shoulder ache on the right side! Been to doctors and he thinks it may be gallstones so have to go for scan beginning of October but freaking out a bit and wondered if anyone had had a precise diagnosis or knew what this could be? I keep getting a cramp like feeling every now and again as well by my ribs - anyone have any ideas??

Hello, I have had the same feeling in my chest, but under my left side. I have had this feeling for 6-8 months. It feels like there is a bubble or some mass under my ribs just below and to the left of my sternum, but I cannot feel it with my fingers. It is annoying, but not at all painful. I notice it the most when I am bent over, slouching at all (like at the computer), or when I am reclining on my back reading. So I guess, whenever I am compressing that area of my chest by curling my mid/upper back. It also seems to worsen when I have a full stomach, leading me to believe more that there is a physical object there that is reacting to the compression of my stomach wall and pressing against adjacent tissue. When I breathe while reclining on my back after I eat dinner, I can feel a subtle pop every time I exhale, again like it is reacting this time to my lungs being full. I can also feel my pulse in it when i am bent over, which creeps me out. I went to my general practitioner, who did a blood test, a manual examination of my abdomen, took chest x-rays and gave me an ultrasound at an imaging clinic. All of these things turned up nothing. The blood test was supposed to be for detecting a tumor. I too wondered about it being a hernia, but I don't remember hurting myself. I am of average weight, eat a vegetarian diet, don't have any problems with acid indigestion that I know of, drink a moderate amount of alcohol, non-smoker, physically active in cardiovascular and weights and haven't really had any major health problems in my 36 years. One other thing I have had in the same area since I was around 18, is a strange numbness on the surface of my skin. I cannot tell if it is completely dead to feeling, it just feels like a numb spot about 3" in diameter, but it is definitely weird. I have mentioned this to my doctor at the time and to my doctors since then, who all have not been concerned about it. Is it a coincidence it is over the same place I have the bubble feeling? Or is it related? Lastly, I am not a person that spends much time in doctor's offices. I am not afraid to see my doctor, I just don't want to go unless there is really an issue and I think this is some sort of problem that needs attention.

I get the "painful" bulge under my right rib sometimes when I bend over "hard" like to shave my legs, etc. After reading all your posts the thing that comes to mind for me, is that many years ago I was told I had a "floating" kidney. I was 15 at the time and didn't ask questions so I can't tell you more than that. Now, I think I may have to research that a bit more...

i got the same issue now for 3 years did everything and still the same problem. i did HIDA scan, Ultrasound 3x, xray 3x, MRI, CT, all blood and urine test.. and still nothing. I find drinking 1 beer calms it down for the day.

I have exactly the same symptoms, but i have had my gall bladder removed 3 years ago. I am wondering if this could be a stone [or stones] in the bile duct, as before having my gall bladder removed, i had to have a camera with tweezers put down my throat to remove stones in the bile duct. After having my gall bladder removed the problem dissapeared but is back now with a vengeance, especially if i bend down or stretch out on the couch etc. Hope someone can help, as its getting worrying now.

Dear All,

I'm having the same problem and as per my doctor this is called peptic ulcer. I would like to suggest you folks to wathch the below link to get more informations about this issue, Thanks

Hi all!
I have suffered very similar symptoms. I turned out I have a form of endometriosis and had done so for over 12 years.
As a teenager a specialist suggested it as a possible issue but quickly said I was too young to check (optional op), then when I had children is was the very last thing from anyone's mind. But one gyno suggested a particular scan that showed a thickening of the uterus wall/lining so he did an op (for something else at the same time) and found I had advanced endometriosis.
Not curable but treatable!
It is not rather well managed 4 months out of 6!
Life Can be found!!! lol
Could be worth checking with your dr.s or gynos if you have enough of the symptoms to make it worth investigating further!
Best of luck!

I have the exact same thing for years now, maybe 6-7. It started as an uncomfortable feeling/light numbness on the right bottom of my chest, somewhere about underneath the right lowest rib. That kept on for years. It's gradually becoming worse and for about one year now, I too feel as if there is something under my skin at that area. At least that's how it used to feel, something under the skin. Now it feels more like it's even under the ribs. Something like a bubble, as someone posted above. A soft small bubble which feels bigger and harder everytime I get it. That spot constantly feels weird and uncomfortable but when I bend my upper body, like to tie my shoes etc., it hurts really bad. It feels like the worst cramp. And this kind of "bubble" thing that I feel in there gets all big and hard and I have to immediately straighten my body and stay still while pushing this thing down hard, in order for it to ease up.
When it eases up, usually after a few seconds, it feels as if the air in this "air-filled bubble" goes away and the thing gets pulled back inside between the two lowest ribs.
I've done all kinds of tests more than once, been to all kinds of doctors but noone came up with a diagnosis to it. So, I decided to do my research to it online.
The only diagnosis I could match was Diaphragmatic hernia. It has all the symptoms I and you all here are experiencing plus it can not be diagnosed with X-rays, CT, ultrasound etc. The only way to diagnose that is with endoscopy.
I haven't done the endoscopy yet, so this is my next move. I don't know what to hope for. That I'm right, and all the stress of getting to know what's wrong with me ends there but new nightmare with possible surgery begins? Or that I'm wrong, and I avoid surgery yet I'm still worried and scared of what it could be? And what if it is something worse than the hernia?
Anyway, I haven't booked the endoscopy yet, they told me you get an appointment to do it in like 2 months after you call to book it. I'm kinda scared to do it but I know I have to and need to, so I will. I'll try to do so soon. And when I do, I'll make sure to post back, unlike all these people that posted above saying that they'll post back news.
Till then, hopefully much sooner, someone that knows will read this thread and help me and us all. It's really making me worry more to read this thread and find no answers, given that the thread was opened 2 years ago, in 2008. Come on, people, please help us!

Thanks,
V