Today I opened a can of very cold soda and took my first gulp too fast. right away i got a severe pain in my stomach and within three seconds i passed out. I woke up after roughly 10 seconds and everyone around me went nuts but i felt fine. I'm 27 years old and healthly with no history of fainting or stomach pain. I appreciate any insight on this strange occurance.

-Jake

My wife had the same occurance!

Have you found any clues?

Please let me also know at: *****

thanks

**edited by moderator**

This happened to me today. What brand of soda were you drinking?

it happened to me today too....i don't know...it was so creepy...and i don't really feel like i need to go the doctor.....

just happened to me too yesterday.

anybody know what causes this?

its happened to me 4 or 5 times in the past, when i feel the pain in my upper stomach, chest, but i've only passed out twice in the past. the other times i've come out of it okay.

This has happened to me about 3-4 times and it's always from Dr. Pepper. I haven't passed out but I've gone into tunnel vision with loss of my peripheral vision and could no longer hold myself up.
I was in fear that this was stomach ulcers. But my doctors assure me it is not. My doctor told me that it's possibly some kind of reaction to all the carbonation and caffeine along with the sugars in these drinks that can cause this, but there has been no definitive answer as of yet.

I find drinking clear sodas such as Sprite and Mountain Dew or Canada Dry can actually cure stomach pains and discomfort, more so the Sprite and Canada Dry as opposed to Mountain Dew(a lot of caffeine).

Soda's bad for you anyways and this just helped me to realize that even more. Just juice and water and an occasional Sprite for me from now on!

I haven't fainted but I have had severe pain...the last two times I have caused myself to throw up to see, and it has relieved the pain...the last time blood even came up.

My best guess is that the soda is eating or dissolving the basic lining of the stomach so the stomach acid is eating your stomach...

happened to me last night after drinking calistoga water too fast, fainted, thinks its the CO2 gas taking up oxygen

it was with a R.C. (royal crown) same thing happened about 15 mins ago O.O almost passed out, became very light headed and was on the verge of puking

It happen to me today, did some googling and I found out the condition is called swallowed syncope.

I have found that soda especially soda's with a high caffeine content causes me to sometimes feel dizzy if I chug them very quickly and it's usually followed with stomach or abdominal pain. The stomach and abdominal pain can be caused by the carbonation. Chugging the soda to fast can trap the gas in your stomach which can cause the discomfort. If you relax and sit up straight it'll usually pass out of you through gas or a series of burps. The fainting I'm not to sure about maybe you're extremely sensitive to caffeine as I said before to much caffeine at once can cause dizziness or light headedness, if so I'd avoid it and drink non caffeinated or lower caffeinated drinks such as sprite. Another explanation of the stomach pain could be that soda's can effect digestion and can cause you to become constipated especially higher caffeine concentrated sodas. My advice would be to lay off the caffeine and just soda in general it's bad for you and has too many harmful side effects if you need a caffeine to get going I would suggest coffee or tea, or maybe even a 5 hour energy all of these can give you the boost you need without all the bad side effects of soda. I really wouldn't worry about it if you felt fine afterwards you're probably just very sensitive to caffeine or sugar or any of the multiple types of acids and concentrates in soda.

The same thing happened to me also. The first two times i had severe tummy pain but that was all, and the third time i had the severe tummy pain again and then i went really faint and felt like i was going to faint, then it made me sick. I drunk Fanta Orange the first time and Coke the second two times.

I went to the doctor and they said that i should try to give up fizzy drinks completely.

Hope this helps

Just happened to me 10 minutes ago. The first time this occurred was a few years ago (approx 5 yrs) and I was in a rush to go to football practice. I did not eat anything, mixed a quick protein shake, felt a sharp pain in my stomach (like I had drank too fast and I swallowed a ball) and next thing I remember was waking up and had a bruise on my chin as if I had a seizure.

I went to the doctor and they scanned my brain and everything was normal. I can't remember for the life of me what it was called. I was told it was normal in instances where a drink is too cold and consumed too quickly.

It never happened again. Today I dropped my daughter off at day care and was cleaning my car out. I opened a bottle of water, feeling I have not been drinking enough lately, and drank it in 3 swigs (pretty quickly). I made it from the back of my car to the driver side to continue cleaning the inside of the car (picking up papers). I recognized the feeling of lightheadedness, I thought I was going to pass out and I remembered going for my phone to call my wife. Next thing I knew I was waking up (hunched over the driver seat as I stood from outside with the car door open, and my left arm hit the horn. It could not have been more than a few seconds. I was still lightheaded, but this time I knew exactly what happened.

I remembered everything that lead up to the incident and after. I still feel a little tight in my forehead area. VERY SCARY!!!
So here I am on Google, trying to research the name of the cause of this, yet again.

It reminds me when I was a kid and we used to make each other pass out by holding our breath and squeezing the person in a bear hug. Only this time it did not feel like a thousand needles or ants in my mouth as I regained consciousness.

Anyone with information please respond.

After my last post as a guest, I searched and found what someone else posted as syncope. The only explanation I can find is that I drank the water too fast and did not breath (normal when drinking), thus cut of air supply to the brain for possibly too long. I believe there are other variables, but will leave that for others to explore.

As stated in Wikipedia"Syncope (pronounced /ˈsɪŋkəpi/) is the medical term for fainting, a sudden, usually temporary, loss of consciousness generally caused by insufficient oxygen in the brain either through cerebral hypoxia or through hypotension, but possibly for other reasons"

For further understand go to the website and search your criteria and find your answers. Furthermore, ask your doctor for insight.

Good luck! Good health!

I will be looking into this more for myself as I am not satisfied with a blanket answer everyone is different. It is even more concerning because I do not drink soda, am physical fit and it happened twice. I don't know anyone, personally, to whom this has happened.

I know this post is kinda old but this just happened to me yesterday. I didn't pass out because I was able to sit down and put my head between my legs. My (almost) fainting was actually caused by the intense pain. It's like if you take too big of a gulp of soda and it burns, but 1000 times worse. I went through 31 hours of labor, c section, broken bones etc, and I can honestly say it's probably the worst pain I've ever felt. As soon as I took a sip, the entire left side of my body straight through to my back felt like someone shocked me. I doubled over and got lightheaded because the pain was so severe. I had to put my head between my legs and it took me a few minutes to recover. I went on to eat dinner fine, although I did have pain under my left shoulder blade the rest of the night and a little today.
From what I've googled, I think it was am esophageal spasm? And the pain was so intense I almost passed out.